First Regs: Deep 6 Signature, DGX Deep 6, Atomic B2, or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pharmasaur34

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Y'all,

Happy to bring you today's episode of "which regulator set should I purchase?"

We dive mostly here in South Florida (Pompano/Deerfield and the Keys) and won't be going super deep or super cold anytime soon. However we will likely be moving to SC next year and would dive there as well.

My boyfriend got the Atomic B2 and I've been leaning toward Deep 6, however I'd love to have my full kit complete before we do our AOW at the end of the month. Since they've been out of stock for awhile and I'm in a bit of a (self imposed) time crunch, I'm wondering if I should keep waiting? Or should I go with the DGX version or even the same Atomic model my SO purchased? I read in another thread that one user said D6 was worth the wait but I'd like to hear from more people.

Money isn't a huge issue but I do appreciate the lower price point of the D6 Signature set compared to what the B2 would set me back. And even though I'm not very mechanically inclined, I love the inclusion of the service kit and ability to take that with me on international trips (we'd like to go to Australia and/or Asia in the next couple of years).

Also is it better to go DIN with a yoke converter? Or just go yoke if we mostly dive here in the US anyway?

Thanks in advance! This board is such a fabulous resource!

You'll likely get a myriad of answers to this question and as such allow to add mine.

I can't speak to the Deep 6 reg, nor can I speak to the Atomic B2. I can speak to the Atomic Z2 second stage and from my experience it dives just fine with zero issues. When I'm not diving my full face, it's what I dive. But my 1st stage is a Hog D3 and I've been nothing but extremely happy with it. Provided you take Hog's class for it, you can self-service them and I love the swivel feature on it. It never pulls or tugs when I turn my head in either direction. I have dove the Atomic Z2 1st stage, too, and it does what it's intended to do. But I much prefer my hog. I'm actually in the market for another 2nd stage and am strongly considering the Hog Zenith for those duties. Price point is nice and it's a reliable piece of gear. I think the Zenith second stage runs about $140 and then $240-$250 for the D3 1st stage.

Actually...you can find the set here for $330.

Hog D3 Regulator Set

If you have no intention of servicing it yourself, stick with a brand your local shops can do. Add the zeagle to your list as well

I would go Atomic but the Deep 6 can be a good choice, free parts and first service free will save some money.

Hey Y'all,

Happy to bring you today's episode of "which regulator set should I purchase?"

We dive mostly here in South Florida (Pompano/Deerfield and the Keys) and won't be going super deep or super cold anytime soon. However we will likely be moving to SC next year and would dive there as well.

My boyfriend got the Atomic B2 and I've been leaning toward Deep 6, however I'd love to have my full kit complete before we do our AOW at the end of the month. Since they've been out of stock for awhile and I'm in a bit of a (self imposed) time crunch, I'm wondering if I should keep waiting? Or should I go with the DGX version or even the same Atomic model my SO purchased? I read in another thread that one user said D6 was worth the wait but I'd like to hear from more people.

Money isn't a huge issue but I do appreciate the lower price point of the D6 Signature set compared to what the B2 would set me back. And even though I'm not very mechanically inclined, I love the inclusion of the service kit and ability to take that with me on international trips (we'd like to go to Australia and/or Asia in the next couple of years).

Also is it better to go DIN with a yoke converter? Or just go yoke if we mostly dive here in the US anyway?

Thanks in advance! This board is such a fabulous resource!

HOG dealers like me also have Black Friday pricing now. If you'd like to know what kind of deal you can get email me at jimlap212@comcast.net or message me here.

As the guy who actually wrote the Deep Six Reg Service manual, I can tell you that it is a very good reg with some features that distinguish it from the HOG D3, but they are very, very close. The second stage on the Deep Six breathes great but so does the HOG. Tuned properly, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.

I'm also a HOG and Deep Six Regulator Service Instructor who has trained 30 or so people to service their own.

I can also get the HOG reg set in 3 days and shipped to you the day after I get it and have assembled and tested it.
I can also include a service kit for the 1st and 2nds with your reg. I can also guarantee delivery before your AOW class if I get your order by the end of next week. Mid week would be better but end of the week still works.

Depending on what you plan to do, my advice for the type of diving you are planning on is to go DIN. Many ops now have convertible valves on their cylinders and have no issue removing the insert for your DIN reg. I just sold a set this past week with a DIN primary and adapter for those times that the customer would need a yoke reg.

Whether you decide to buy your own cylinders or not, moving to SC you'll find getting DIN cylinders is not a problem.

I would recommend Atomic. Deep6 seems to always have supply issues, and it’s one excuse after another.

and it’s one excuse after another.
They are more popular than anticipated. ScubaBoard peeps keep buying him out. :D They are distinctly better than HOG in terms of finish though they come from the same factory. I understand that the chrome is thicker. I also dive my Atomic B2s quite often. Today's regulators are all reliable. Choose the one that you like!

Sometimes it's best to go with tried and true rather than go with the most current trend, even on ScubaBoard. I have Scubapro regs, no problems, even with my MK5/R109 from 1972. Track record is worth something.

Are you going to service your regs yourself? If not, stay with a brand that you can get serviced without hassle. Scubapro or Atomic are your best bets. If you get a B2, prepared for some big bills if sealing is part of the service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom