First Regs: Deep 6 Signature, DGX Deep 6, Atomic B2, or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go with Atomic regulators. The B2 is great especially if it is sealed. You can go for 3 - 5 years in between servicing and it will still perform like new (I do). Atomic is a VERY solid company with a very long track in the business and very solid financial backing and stability.

Either of the regs you listed will be fine - you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them if they were properly tuned. That said, my first choice would be the Deep 6 as the price point is very good for what you are getting and is easy to service. I'm a multiple Zeagle owner btw and service my own gear. Since your SO is an Atomic owner, it really would make sense to get the same. My only issue with Atomic is their service kits are more difficult to source but that again depends on whether you'll service your own. If he has a local shop perform his maintenance then that isn't going to be a concern. Whatever you get, take care of it, soak it well post dive, and get an IP gauge and learn what it is telling you. Servicing regs gets expensive so let the IP gauge tell you when it needs attention. Service interval based on a calendar date is a total crock. If you have a good post-dive routine, you can go years and years and years with little more than a tune-up. $20 and a little effort on your part will go a long way

as an addition, you mentioned travel and the possibility of needing servicing out of country. I always carry an extra 1st & 2nd stage just in case BUT, I also carry rebuild kits just because. My advice is to NOT get your regs serviced just before a big trip unless you can get a handful of dives on them before you travel. Sh!t happens and failures either seem to occur right after servicing or not until way down the road. Carrying a rebuild kit though is just good insurance. A decent tech could service either of your listed with little effort (assuming the kit is available).

Hey Y'all,

Happy to bring you today's episode of "which regulator set should I purchase?"

We dive mostly here in South Florida (Pompano/Deerfield and the Keys) and won't be going super deep or super cold anytime soon. However we will likely be moving to SC next year and would dive there as well.

My boyfriend got the Atomic B2 and I've been leaning toward Deep 6, however I'd love to have my full kit complete before we do our AOW at the end of the month. Since they've been out of stock for awhile and I'm in a bit of a (self imposed) time crunch, I'm wondering if I should keep waiting? Or should I go with the DGX version or even the same Atomic model my SO purchased? I read in another thread that one user said D6 was worth the wait but I'd like to hear from more people.

Money isn't a huge issue but I do appreciate the lower price point of the D6 Signature set compared to what the B2 would set me back. And even though I'm not very mechanically inclined, I love the inclusion of the service kit and ability to take that with me on international trips (we'd like to go to Australia and/or Asia in the next couple of years).

Also is it better to go DIN with a yoke converter? Or just go yoke if we mostly dive here in the US anyway?

Thanks in advance! This board is such a fabulous resource!

Dear PH...

Buy the Deep Six version that is offered by Dive Gear Express...

They're less expensive than the Signature model...will come to you as a completely assembled and properly adjusted set with hose lengths/type and SPG's of your choice...with the only extra being deciding whether or not you want to buy DGX's Tech reg bag...

They're all black so there's no color choice...

I use them...I swear by them...you won't regret your purchase...DGX stands behind everything they sell with the best after-sales service and tech advice in the industry...

Dive Safe...

Warren

My advice would be to stick to the same gear as your dive buddy i.e your boyfriend. In case something happens you will both be familiar with each others gear, because well, you use the same gear.

If this is of no importance to you, or you find different gear to be a none issue because they are similar enough, then go ahead and buy what ever it is you like the most. All regs are up to standard.

It's a pretty simple choice. Price point or features? For price point the Deep Six runs away with it, as soon as it's available again (or DGX now). For features the Atomic is clearly the best, for one specific reason: as yet, no one has mentioned the seat-saver feature on the second stage. This single additional capability will allow your second stage to go years between service.
Everyone talks about not needing to stay on the clock for first-stage service, and that's true. But second stages that maintain constant pressure of the orifice on the valve seat typically need either retuning or service at 1-2 yr intervals. The Atomic does not, because the seat pulls away from the valve when the gear is not pressurized, which is most of the time. That vastly increases longevity.

If not, stay with a brand that you can get serviced without hassle.
It should be relatively simple to get HOG or Deep6 regs serviced. Maybe easier than most. The kits are readily available and they are very similar to a lot of regs out there.

It should be relatively simple to get HOG or Deep6 regs serviced. Maybe easier than most. The kits are readily available and they are very similar to a lot of regs out there.

Just because you have the kits doesn't mean that a dive shop will be willing to repair them. Some see too much liability there.

All the kits in the world won't make a bit of difference if a tech won't touch it.

All the kits in the world won't make a bit of difference if a tech won't touch it.
Deep 6 will rebuild them for you. You can't argue with a factory rebuild. I bet they know what they're doing when it comes to making them right. :D :D :D

I've heard all sorts of alarmist rhetoric about serviceability of regs over the years. Yes, even about Atomics when they first came out. I don't think I was told I was going to die when I got my B2s, but it was close. Most of these fears are baseless but are encouraged by many shops to keep you buying what they sell. It's the tired "If I don't dive, teach or sell it, "it" must be crap!" mentality that the industry used to cling to in order to preserve their market share. I just don't buy into the fear mongering out there about new gear anymore. FWIW, the factory used to make HOG and Deep 6 regs have also made some parts for ScubaPro, Atomics and Zeagles over the years.

Deep 6 will rebuild them for you. You can't argue with a factory rebuild. I bet they know what they're doing when it comes to making them right. :D :D :D

I've heard all sorts of alarmist rhetoric about serviceability of regs over the years. Yes, even about Atomics when they first came out. I don't think I was told I was going to die when I got my B2s, but it was close. Most of these fears are baseless but are encouraged by many shops to keep you buying what they sell. It's the tired "If I don't dive, teach or sell it, "it" must be crap!" mentality that the industry used to cling to in order to preserve their market share. I just don't buy into the fear mongering out there about new gear anymore. FWIW, the factory used to make HOG and Deep 6 regs have also made some parts for ScubaPro, Atomics and Zeagles over the years.

There is nothing at all alarmist about what I said and I didn't comment at all about the quality of their regs. I've heard nothing but good things for the most part.

You said that the availability of kits makes it so that, essentially, service is widespread for a Deep 6. It doesn't matter how many kits you have with you if a tech won't touch it because of a fear of liability. Sending it back to Deep 6 is fine (and I'm sure they do a great job) but that won't make a bit of a difference if you're in the Keys on vacation and need that service today to dive tomorrow and there's nobody around that will service your Deep 6. You won't run into that problem with an Apeks, Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares etc. It's one of the benefits of having widespread dealer networks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom