first reg purchase....Apeks, Oceanic or Aeris?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thedariolama

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
new northeast us diver, looking to blow some of my tax return money on my own gear (read, limited budget). in terms of bc I've pretty much decided on DSS bp&w but now looking at regs. Saw an Apeks XTX50 on leisure pro for $399 that looked like exactly what i wanted...but of course, sadly out of stock. IMed with one of the dive pros on the site and they suggested as an alternative i consider Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10 or Aeris ATA 400 ION as comparable options...the Aeris is $299 the Oceanic is $365...any opinions/experience either way would be great or if anyone has another suggestion that would be great as well....local dive shops also carry both regs..actually the Apeks too...but of course at a considerably higher price...but if the Apeks is that much better, it may be worth it for me to spring for it...thank you in advance for any input!

Both the regs they recommend look to be older models as they are not showing on Oceanic or Aeris websites. I doubt you could tell the difference breathing from any of the three mentioned if tuned properly. Basically it's down to personal preference. If you dive colder waters a sealed diaphragm reg would be my pick. One that you can get serviced locally is a big bonus. If you travel dive brands such as Scubapro and Aqualung would be a better choice as they both have very big dealer networks worldwide. Personally I dive Apeks, they are very simple, easy to self service should be so inclined and over the years have proven to be very reliable. Good luck.

PS Apeks have just launched new models so you should be able to pick up the older model of XTX cheaper if you look around.

I have the Delta 4 FDX10 and it's perfect. The Aeris 2nd stage is probably the same as the Delta 4. You won't go wrong with either. I'd say go with the Aeris since it's the cheapest, while not being cheap.

I had Aeris and dis not like the second stage - the venturi was too strong and felt like reg is trying to inflate you.
Besides looking at the features and ease of servicing Being a new diver I would look for something that has great resale value yet sold at a deal price. Apeks and Scubapro have great resale value regardless of year. And they can be had on sale sometimes. Call LP and check if they still have MK25/S600 on sale.

new northeast us diver, looking to blow some of my tax return money on my own gear (read, limited budget). in terms of bc I've pretty much decided on DSS bp&w but now looking at regs. Saw an Apeks XTX50 on leisure pro for $399 that looked like exactly what i wanted...but of course, sadly out of stock. IMed with one of the dive pros on the site and they suggested as an alternative i consider Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10 or Aeris ATA 400 ION as comparable options...the Aeris is $299 the Oceanic is $365...any opinions/experience either way would be great or if anyone has another suggestion that would be great as well....local dive shops also carry both regs..actually the Apeks too...but of course at a considerably higher price...but if the Apeks is that much better, it may be worth it for me to spring for it...thank you in advance for any input!

You lost me at " US dver" and "tax return". Im not sure how you pulled that off.....but I'm still sore from my sit down with my accountant........

Leisure Pro is a gray market dealer.

Your Apeks XTX50 will not be eligible for "free parts for life" if you purchase it from them.

Leisure Pro is a gray market dealer.

Your Apeks XTX50 will not be eligible for "free parts for life" if you purchase it from them.

To say we are a gray market dealer as a blanket statement is incorrect.

Aqualung (and their sub-brands, including Apeks) are one of two brands that we carry that do not allow sales online. For these two brands, we carry our own in-house warranty that is equal to or exceeds the manufacturers warranty. For every other brand, we are full authorized dealers.

Since the parts kit is usually in the $20-30 range, if your savings is greater than that over your expected life of the regulator, it's still a better deal to buy online. Since MSRP is US$595 and our price (when it's in stock) is US$399.95, that's a US$196 or roughly 7-10 years worth of parts.

@ Manni-Yunk - Haha - i squeezed by with just enough to invest in some dive gear...dont tell my girlfriend

And a funny thing about so called grey market dealers is how they can get the variety, quantity, and latest models if the mfg doesn't in some way approve. Even if it's looking the other way when a division decides to sell to these "grey market" dealers. It's not like they are selling fakes. And the free parts as Nick outlines are not free. You pay for em up front. And they are dependent on you having the reg serviced and at a minimum paying labor even when it does not need it. Or you're kicked out of the program.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom