Apeks WTX Wing and backplate compatibility questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, I just recently joined the forum. I have been reading threads on here for several years for research but just recently made an account. Hope everyone is doing well.

I had a few questions that I have been trying to answer, but have come up with inconclusive, old, or incomplete answers for the most part. I am trying to put together a scuba kit on a budget so I can avoid renting so much gear in the future. I recently purchased an Apeks WTX harness for cheap used. I chose to not purchase the 60lbs doubles wing that was for sale with it as I don't really have any use for it. I will mostly being doing single tank diving in varying temperatures. I live in the North-East USA, and will probably be doing some quarry diving, as well as going to the great lakes, with possibly some ocean diving in the summer as well. I've seen a couple threads about the WTX and people using different wing than the normal production Apeks wings. I would prefer to get something cheaper as I'm on a pretty tight budget, but still of good quality.

I was wondering if anyone knew if any other wings would be a good fit for the WTX? I've seen the DGX singles wing, and the Diverite Voyager mentioned a few times, but can't really get a conclusive answer anywhere if they are an appropriate fit. I've seen several threads stating how similar many of the wings offered are, and would assume it shouldn't be too difficult to find one that fits.

Then comes the question of a backplate. I would prefer a SS backplate. Would the DGX SS backplate work? I have heard that the Apeks WTX has slightly different tank band spacing, but that may be incorrect.

Also can anyone give me a recommendation on an inexpensive but quality ditchable weight system. I have rear trim pockets on the tank bands, but am still looking for a ditchable weight system from on the front of the harness.

Link to DGX stainless steel backplate: DGX Backplate - Stainless
Link to DGX single tank wing: DGX Gears S1 Singles Wing

Some relevant Scubaboard threads I've looked through:

Thread from 2019 about attaching a DGX wing to an Apeks WTX > DGX wing on Apeks WTX harness?

Thread from 2009 about WTX and compatability with other manufacturers > WTX Harness and wing configuration...First Rig

Sorry for the wall of text as my first post. Any and all input is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

I currently dive the DGX Gears S1 Singles Wing, and love it. They are manufactured by OxyCheq for DGX, and are a good value IMHO.

I needed a wing with longer tank band slots in order to fit my backplate properly, and this one worked out perfectly for me.

The only problem I had was actually getting my hands on one because they are always out of stock.

If you don't need a lot of weight, a pair of trim pockets on the waist band should work. Most of them allow you pop the weight out pretty easily. If you use an STA to mount the tank, mixing and matching wings and plates is straight forward as the 11" hole spacing is standard,

Nice you bought it cheap, you can flip it on e-bay and make some money. Honestly, its unnecessary if you are going with a SS back plate. Just rig yourself a one-piece harness and be done with it.

The WXT harness has d-rings you dont need, clips you dont need, that chest strap that only helps to restrict your breathing. Apeks lists 14 D-rings on that harness, I've been able to dive for many many years, tech/cave/recreational with and without scooters, with 5 D-rings.

Sure, its made with 1050D Ballistic Nylon.......but no one is shooting at you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom