first reg purchase....Apeks, Oceanic or Aeris?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've asked a few times how we get them, and I just get a quiet shrug :)

As for the OP question though, since I'm in the market for new regs myself, what I consider comparable to the XTX50 would be the following:
Hollis DC1/212 Regulator with 30" (76.2 cm) Maxflex Hose

I'm considering a HOG reg too from Jim. My requirements may be a little different because I want a swivel DIN 1st stage for cave sidemount diving.

Leisure Pro is a gray market dealer.

Your Apeks XTX50 will not be eligible for "free parts for life" if you purchase it from them.

If he is interested in the XTX 100 then: buy Apeks XTX100 - Yoke at northeastscubasupply.com - Northeast Scuba Supply

NESS is an authorized dealer.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 10:39 AM ----------

As for the OP question though, since I'm in the market for new regs myself, what I consider comparable to the XTX50 would be the following: Hollis DC1/212 Regulator with 30" (76.2 cm) Maxflex Hose

My understanding is that the differences between the DC1/212 and the DC3/221 is that the first stage does not have a turret and the second stage does not have the adjustment knob, correct?

NESS is an authorized dealer.

Aqualung's online sales policy is always so odd to me. Based on their policy here (Frequently Asked Questions) NESS is breaking the rules too.

"Retailers that offer to sell and ship Aqua Lung or affiliate branded life support products by mail in response to mail, telephone, or Internet orders ARE NOT AUTHORIZED AQUA LUNG AMERICA DEALERS."

Some day they'll pull a SCUBAPRO and allow online sales from sites other than their own. Until then, I'll just be confused :)

My understanding is that the differences between the DC1/212 and the DC3/221 is that the first stage does not have a turret and the second stage does not have the adjustment knob, correct?

To the best of my understanding, that's the difference, yes.

Take a look at the HOG line of reg's........I've dove them on wrecks in the Great lakes and use them for cave diving regularly......Much better price, same if not better quality.......

"Retailers that offer to sell and ship Aqua Lung or affiliate branded life support products by mail in response to mail, telephone, or Internet orders ARE NOT AUTHORIZED AQUA LUNG AMERICA DEALERS."

I am not sure but it may have to do with Apeks changing their line for 2013 and these being 2012 models.

I am not sure but it may have to do with Apeks changing their line for 2013 and these being 2012 models.

I'm not sure how it would apply since they're still covered under the same warranty and online sales policies, but who knows for sure? I doubt they'd take a moment to explain it to me at least :wink:

I wish someone would have told me before I bought my first regulator about the old Scubapro's. I bought a mark 10 with a g250 off ebay a few months ago. Had a buddy rebuild it and it breathes as good to me as my mk25 / g250v's and smokes my mk25/s600's. I have less than $175 in a reg that to me breathes as good as a new $600 reg. I personally like piston reg's as I have never dove water much colder than the high 30's. It's your money and I know its not the question you asked but after buying over a dozen reg's I know what I would do.

Im really thinking Im going with that Apeks XTX100...that seems like a great deal. The one from Northeast Scuba I mean...although at this point Ive changed my mind about a dozen times with all the great input hahaha.

Now that said, any suggestions for backup reg? is finding a decent octo the best route or should I consider getting a lower priced primary regulator for this function?

And the other question regarding the 1st stage on the primary...and I may be opening a can of worms here...yoke or DIN?

forgive my "newbie-ness"

thanks!

Im really thinking Im going with that Apeks XTX100...that seems like a great deal. The one from Northeast Scuba I mean...although at this point Ive changed my mind about a dozen times with all the great input hahaha.

Now that said, any suggestions for backup reg? is finding a decent octo the best route or should I consider getting a lower priced primary regulator for this function?

And the other question regarding the 1st stage on the primary...and I may be opening a can of worms here...yoke or DIN?

forgive my "newbie-ness"

thanks!

Welcome to Scubaboard.

im a big fan of using two identical 2nd stages, my thinking being if I or anyone actually needs to use the octo/backup then chances are its an emergency of some description so want a high performing and reliable octo/back up. A lot of people buy cheap octos, many "dedicated" octos are of a lower quality and may or may not perform as required.

This is also the reason I use a bungeed backup i.e around my neck, I know where it is and it doesn't get dragged through the sand etc. when you actually need to use your octo is not the time to discover it isn't functioning properly because its full of sand or has been largely neglected from day one. Another good reason to always check functioning before every dive. I think an octo should be treated with equal respect to your primary.

It is a good idea to get the same brand as your primary as this can make servicing easier. You should be able to find a cheap last year XTX20 or XTX40 either would make a good backup, go the XTX40 if you dive cold water.

I personally use Apeks FSR 1st stage (XTX200) and two XTX50s for primary and back up.

Re DIN or yoke, in recreational diving yoke is more common in my experience, when travel diving especially so, except maybe Europe. What are the tanks that you will be using? What does your LDS rent?

sorry if my post is a little wonky or sounds preachy it's late and I'm tired. Good night.

LOL no not preachy at all, Im def looking for as much input as possible so is all good! So far, yoke is about 99% of what Ive run into in my limited experience. Does it make sense to go DIN with a Yoke adapter or am I just asking for trouble in regards to a potential fail point if I would probably 9 times out of 10 require a yoke connection?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom