first reg purchase....Apeks, Oceanic or Aeris?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you live in North America, and dive mostly there and in the Caribbean (recreational not technical) you will be better served by a yoke rather than DIN by virtue of the fact that 99.9% of the cylinder valves you encounter while diving will be set up for yokes. Diving in Europe, Red Sea and parts of the Pacific plus technical diving would be DIN. A DIN to yoke adapter will work, but I wouldn't use it more than occasionally, in other words if you are diving where yokes predominate, get a yoke.

that answers that, kinda what I was thinking but needed confirmation..thank you!

---------- Post added March 14th, 2013 at 07:25 PM ----------

New development - a coworker today gave me her old Sherwood SRB5700 1st stage and Sherwood oasis 2nd stage. Def a tad old school so need eeverything checked out and serviced but wondering what my move is...sell it and put money towards all new gear? Pick up the apeks xtx100 and bump the Sherwood oasis to octo duty on a necklace until I get more dough to upgrade?

Any input would be great....thank u!

LOL no not preachy at all, Im def looking for as much input as possible so is all good! So far, yoke is about 99% of what Ive run into in my limited experience. Does it make sense to go DIN with a Yoke adapter or am I just asking for trouble in regards to a potential fail point if I would probably 9 times out of 10 require a yoke connection?

If you use yoke 99% of the time definitely go with yoke. Using DIN with yoke adapters often moves the first stage closer to your head and in some cases causes the first stage to come into contact with your head. As far as it being a potential failure point I think the risk is so low it's negligible. Good luck.

---------- Post added March 15th, 2013 at 01:20 AM ----------

that answers that, kinda what I was thinking but needed confirmation..thank you!

New development - a coworker today gave me her old Sherwood SRB5700 1st stage and Sherwood oasis 2nd stage. Def a tad old school so need eeverything checked out and serviced but wondering what my move is...sell it and put money towards all new gear? Pick up the apeks xtx100 and bump the Sherwood oasis to octo duty on a necklace until I get more dough to upgrade?

That's what I'd do and recommend.

If a Sherwood is tuned properly it is not a bad breather, but it is not the best either as the second stage is unbalanced. They usually do not sell for much on ebay, especially the older models. I do not know you finances, do you need other pieces of equipment?
/

For open water diving starting out the Sherwood is fine. Get it looked at and dive the hell out of it. It will work and if the tech knows what they are doing a new diver won't be aware of much difference above 60 feet between it and $500 reg set. Deeper you might but quite likely you'll be too amazed to worry about any difference in how the reg breathes for a while.

To say we are a gray market dealer as a blanket statement is incorrect.

Aqualung (and their sub-brands, including Apeks) are one of two brands that we carry that do not allow sales online. For these two brands, we carry our own in-house warranty that is equal to or exceeds the manufacturers warranty. For every other brand, we are full authorized dealers.

Since the parts kit is usually in the $20-30 range, if your savings is greater than that over your expected life of the regulator, it's still a better deal to buy online. Since MSRP is US$595 and our price (when it's in stock) is US$399.95, that's a US$196 or roughly 7-10 years worth of parts.

Do you sell the parts kit?

I've lost track of how many dives I did in Jamaica on sherwood rental regulators... good enough. Just not for use on a stage/pony. :)

I don't buy from manufacturers who hide behind the "grey market" excuse.

Do you sell the parts kit?

Not that I'm aware of. Sorry for any confusion, I wasn't suggesting an end-user would just buy the parts kit and do the servicing themselves, the $20-30 parts kit range is what I usually see the dive centers I visit while traveling charge for parts on annual servicing. Since labor isn't included in the parts for life program, that should be the same regardless of if it's under warranty or not.

The guy who trained me for cave diving can't even get Apeks parts kits despite being a certified tech because he isn't an authorized repair facility. The local (to him) place that has parts kits won't even sell them to him despite the fact he's a certified tech. Gotta love the parts programs :)

Any chance you'll carry Edge / Hog products one day?

I wouldn't rule it out, I know our buyer has spoken to them at DEMA in the past. At least a few years ago (if I'm remembering correctly, which is a big "IF"), I believe our buyer said he was concerned about them being able to provide us with the quantities he anticipated being able to move. I'm not the buyer though, and my memory on things that don't directly involve me gets refreshed pretty quickly, so I could be way off as to why we don't carry Edge/Hog. I'll put in a recommendation though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom