Finally made my purchasing decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull:
Still, I consider the AIR2 setup to be safe and convenient although not the ideal setup for emergency preparedness.

theskull

Sorry, I have to ask. Why would one use a method or piece of emergency management equipment they don't think is ideal for managing that emergency?

MikeFerrara:
Sorry, I have to ask. Why would one use a method or piece of emergency management equipment they don't think is ideal for managing that emergency?

Personal choice. Not my choice, as I explained, but not I one I would berate others for. Same choice that allows folks to ride a bike or motorcycle without a helmet, drive a car without airbags, rollerblade without knee pads, etc.

If it is legal (helmets are optional in many states) and one makes their choice that this level of risk is acceptable to them, they may have their own reasons. I may disagree, make other choices, and attempt to persuade others differently, but the choice is still theirs to make. And I would venture to say that many many divers do not expect to encounter OOG incidents, and expect that if they do it will happen while diving shallow and with trusted buddies so that a less-than-perfect equipment setup will suffice.

theskull

Congrats on making a choice on what gear to buy. Isn't amazing how much time you can actually spend researching what gear to get. The gear you chose are really solid choices. If you do cold diving with the SP reg keep in mind that they often free flow at cold temps. Other that that, great choices, enjoy you dives.

waterwraith:
Congrats on making a choice on what gear to buy. Isn't amazing how much time you can actually spend researching what gear to get. The gear you chose are really solid choices. If you do cold diving with the SP reg keep in mind that they often free flow at cold temps. Other that that, great choices, enjoy you dives.

SCUBAPRO knows about the coldwater freeflows and knows how to fix it. If you buy from a good LDS that is on the ball, they will have done this "upgrade" already before selling the reg. It's worth asking about if you plan to dive water colder than 60 F.

theskull

I picked up my gear yesterday, so I am good to go. I am glad to have the gear decision behind me so I can just concentrate on diving now.

I will be diving with my new toys on sunday. cant wait to try it out.

RockyTop:
I picked up my gear yesterday, so I am good to go. I am glad to have the gear decision behind me so I can just concentrate on diving now.

I will be diving with my new toys on sunday. cant wait to try it out.
Congratulations on getting your new gear. Where are you going to be diving (you haven't filled out your profile)?

theskull:
SCUBAPRO knows about the coldwater freeflows and knows how to fix it. If you buy from a good LDS that is on the ball, they will have done this "upgrade" already before selling the reg. It's worth asking about if you plan to dive water colder than 60 F.

theskull
60 Degrees? Thats the threshold that one should be worried about when using a Scubapro? Sounds kinda pitiful.........I bet they have depth limitations as well.........

"When diving in water colder than 60 degree's, dont dive deeper than 5'. That way you can safely stand up in the even of a freeflow".

If "SCUBAPRO knows about the coldwater freeflows and knows how to fix it. " then why not make the upgrade a standard feature? Why leave it up to the integrity of the LDS?

Where's that whine & cheese forum?.......

mikswi:
60 Degrees? Thats the threshold that one should be worried about when using a Scubapro? Sounds kinda pitiful.........I bet they have depth limitations as well.........

"When diving in water colder than 60 degree's, dont dive deeper than 5'. That way you can safely stand up in the even of a freeflow".

If "SCUBAPRO knows about the coldwater freeflows and knows how to fix it. " then why not make the upgrade a standard feature? Why leave it up to the integrity of the LDS?

Where's that whine & cheese orum?.......

Since you mentioned it, yes, the depth is a concern, too. The problem (only with the uncorrected regs) occurs mainly if you go cold AND deep. The upgrade is NOW a standard feature, but alot of regs got shipped before the problem became evident.

theskull

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm also diving with a mark16/s550. I've used it to as deep as 120' at 45 Celsius and it breathes great. Haven't seen any of the coldwater problems that some have pointed out with this reg. I don't think you will be disappointed. Let us know how your first dive with it goes...:)

lawofgravity:
I've used it to as deep as 120' at 45 Celsius .:)
That's a pretty deep Hot Tub. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom