Tips for finally picking up diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Im a newbie diver. Certified since 01 and just got back into it after a 20+ year hiatus.

As far as gear(that I feel is a must) you should have. I found a well fitting mask, fins and booties and a snorkel(I was trained to always have one on your mask but some keep them in a pocket). I feel these are barebones stuff you should have.

I then ended up buying a computer(Shearwater Peregrine which is awesome).

Than I bought a reg setup because I was sick of how the rental stuff breathed.

I just recently bought an Atomic BCD.

That was the order I bought stuff in. Here in my home area there is no such thing as a shop that wont rent you everything you need to do your OW cert. I rented and reg setup, BCD and tank when I did my comprehensive refresher and than when I dove in Aruba. I would also definitely do the OW course and not just keep “Discover Diving”. Even if you dont have diving friends all my local shops will pair you up with someone and have experienced divers from the shop who keep an eye on things as best they can.

An additional comment about diving in the cold...

There is no warm diving outside the summer season anywhere in Europe unless you live somewhere very south (e.g., Malta). So courses in swimming pools are a regular thing everywhere. True, it's a bit boring, but it gets the job done. You also don't need a drysuit.

Yeah, that's a good point, but then again, anything beside a lake that is frozen for months, I do consider to be warm, hehe. I assume a shorter dive is still doable without a drysuit if the temperature doesn't drop drastically below 18-20 degrees celsius or so, but am I completely wrong here?

Don't want to hijack the thread but what is the under water temperature like in the Adriatic and Mediterranean? Does it swing as much as the surface temp?

Go ahead, I don't mind! I'm sure it's gonna be useful for me in the future as well! :)

So Im a newbie diver. Certified since 01 and just got back into it after a 20+ year hiatus.

As far as gear(that I feel is a must) you should have. I found a well fitting mask, fins and booties and a snorkel(I was trained to always have one on your mask but some keep them in a pocket). I feel these are barebones stuff you should have.

I then ended up buying a computer(Shearwater Peregrine which is awesome).

Than I bought a reg setup because I was sick of how the rental stuff breathed.

I just recently bought an Atomic BCD.

That was the order I bought stuff in. Here in my home area there is no such thing as a shop that wont rent you everything you need to do your OW cert. I rented and reg setup, BCD and tank when I did my comprehensive refresher and than when I dove in Aruba. I would also definitely do the OW course and not just keep “Discover Diving”. Even if you dont have diving friends all my local shops will pair you up with someone and have experienced divers from the shop who keep an eye on things as best they can.

Thanks for your input, the order of acquiring gear helps a lot to get an idea on how to go about it!

What came to my mind just now, I'm nearsighted, and I'm very used to wearing contacts. Is that a problem when diving, or should I invest in a mask with corrective lenses?

Thanks for your input, the order of acquiring gear helps a lot to get an idea on how to go about it!

What came to my mind just now, I'm nearsighted, and I'm very used to wearing contacts. Is that a problem when diving, or should I invest in a mask with corrective lenses?
Diving with contact lenses is fine. I've done it for years as do a bunch of my buddies. Just close your eyes for the mask removal drill.

Excellent, thanks!
I'm going to say that depends on the strength of your script. If your contacts were washed out because your mask was flooded, would you be able to read your gauges?

Diving with contact lenses is fine. I've done it for years as do a bunch of my buddies. Just close your eyes for the mask removal drill.

In salt water you can keep your eyes open. I did. No problemo.

Fresh water is doom for my contacts. They get sticky and fold up.

Saltwater is hardly different than my saline solution.

I would recommend doing the OW or the equivalent at home with referral for check out dives in the Caribbean, Red Sea, South Pacific. Followed by fun dives in that location. You will have a greater appreciation of the intricacies and less reliance on an overtaxed guide going forward. Do a few more trips at OW and if you are staying or getting more passionate about it consider doing Advanced OW or the like at home including the dives. You will be a more complete diver that way. If the thought of cold dark water ruins it for you, do AOW on a trip.

There will always be other single divers at resorts that you can buddy up with. Maybe even make plans for future trips with if you get along real well.
Perhaps diving in Spain, Italy or Malta would be a little easier than travelling to the caribbean or Egypt.

Definetly give it another go. It can be a new passion:))

I'm going to say that depends on the strength of your script. If your contacts were washed out because your mask was flooded, would you be able to read your gauges?

Luckily I would, yes - it's a pretty low strength that I have.

Thanks to everyone again, this will help me a lot in getting started! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom