BP/W & Reg for Monterey + Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Lake Tahoe in a wetsuit sounds like absolute misery to me.
I dive a drysuit year round, but I've got a buddy who's diving wet right now. It's in the low 60s until you hit the thermocline, which is around 70' down at the moment.

Most anywhere in Tahoe the OP would be diving will be similar temperatures to Monterey if not warmer.
Often true, but definitely depends on the time of year. We bottom out at 39° around February and run to Monterey for warmer water. You'll pretty much always get into the low 40s at depth, even when it's nearly 70° on the surface.

I dive a drysuit year round, but I've got a buddy who's diving wet right now. It's in the low 60s until you hit the thermocline, which is around 70' down at the moment.

Often true, but definitely depends on the time of year. We bottom out at 39° around February and run to Monterey for warmer water. You'll pretty much always get into the low 40s at depth, even when it's nearly 70° on the surface.

I bet it’s even colder at the SS Tahoe but the OP is going to need a few more dives before he needs to worry about it.

get the dgx bpw and pick up a cheap aluminum plate off aliexpress for traveling.

service is easiest on scubapro in the area, but the dive shops aren't quick or good about it mostly. getting dive rite or d6 is fine if you don't mind getting it to rsingler or want to learn to DIY later.

You can also get an aluminum plate and put a 5lb weight pocket on each cam band. On opposite sides. You can turn that 2lb al plate into anything from 6 to 12 lbs doing that.
And a 30-35lb wing is enough lift for any single cylinder except maybe the old Heisers. I personally went with 32lbs of lift in the HOG wings.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. This is perfect info to chew on that I appreciate.

That argument can also be used to justify a steel plate. Pair that with a 30 lb wing and you'd be golden for single-tank recreational diving, even in cold water.

Size the harness for cold water, and that will work for warm as well. The waist belt provides the stability, not the shoulder straps. Those *should* be loose.
Re-read my comment. I wasn't saying that the space saving was a good justification to buy one plate or the other. I am saying that is not a good justifcation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom