Filmmaker Rob Stewart's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that ^^^ is a given. But then a lawsuit does no one any good. Peter was long tried and convicted right here on ScubaBoard and Facebook before suit was filed. Now, he gets a day in court, and if Concannon prevails, gets his name cleared. And, Concannon goes back for the cost of defense to pile injury back on the plaintiff. All anyone has to do is look at his record to figure that out. Of course, no one wins every time, but I still can't figure this whole lawsuit out.
Sure, but Scubaboard is a comparatively small community. May be a reasonable presence in the dive world, but outside of divers who would know about it? Taking it to court and turning it into a huge case with massive publicity- they can win over non divers, effectively turning his name into a cuss word. In the event Sotis walks, paint the picture it was a criminal that managed to slip through the cracks rather than an an innocent man wrongly charged. So many people are trying to figure out why they are taking this to court, etc- this seems to be the reason. Again, no one knows yet if Sotis deserves this, or if this is a case of grieving parents lashing out as a way of dealing with the loss.

At this point most of what we have is speculation on both the incident and the motivation for the suit. We may never find out definitively all the reasons for either of them.

I will mourn for his parents as I cannot imagine what it is like to lose a child. I will refrain from further comment in terms of fault or reason for either issue as truthfully I have no frame of reference to draw from, and I hope I can say that for the rest of my life.

As I have been known to say (and it isnt mine) "opinion without experience is just wishful thinking."

The title of this thread is "family files suit". Anyone got a docket number? Perhaps all the families lawyers have is a fishing pole.

Maybe we change the thread title to "family holds press conference"

They don't even have to be your student for you to be liable.

When I was sued for 10 million, I don't think they were after the money. Hell, I didn't have a grand to my name. They were after "justice"... they wanted to ruin me financially. Fortunately, the great folks on SB would not let that happen.

Yeah, I was one of the great folks of SB who kicked in on that. I do understand litigation in the USA has run rampant, (causing all our insurance rates up). I think things are better in Canada where civil cases are argued in front of, and decided by judges, who understand the points of law.

Imagining myself as a jury member in this case I could see where having the former instructor on the boat and in the water with the victim makes Mr Sotis somehow responsible. But what? As instructor or just the responsibility of care assigned a dive buddy?

Imagining myself as a jury member in this case I could see where having the former instructor on the boat and in the water with the victim makes Mr Sotis somehow responsible. But what? As instructor or just the responsibility of care assigned a dive buddy?
What if it wasn't even that? What if the boat crew just wanted their anchor back and Sotis agreed to go do it, and Rob didn't want Sotis to go alone? What if testimony shows that? What if?????

What if it wasn't even that? What if the boat crew just wanted their anchor back and Sotis agreed to go do it, and Rob didn't want Sotis to go alone? What if testimony shows that? What if?????
I was thinking exactly that. I have been in exactly that situation on many dive trips. Making a a third deep dive in a day is a calculated risk I have taken for various reasons, locating gear lost overboard, slipping a tie in etc. I have often accepted offers of accompaniment on those dives (but never with an uncertified student). The fact that Rob was technically certified yet Sotis is still being held accountable for this unfortunate outcome bothers me.

I was thinking exactly that. I have been in exactly that situation on many dive trips. Making a a third deep dive in a day is a calculated risk I have taken for various reasons, locating gear lost overboard, slipping a tie in etc. I have often accepted offers of accompaniment on those dives (but never with an uncertified student). The fact that Rob was technically certified yet Sotis is still being held accountable for this unfortunate outcome bothers me.
Are you thinking that Rob was certified to that depth? Or were you thinking other things, like Rob had been warned by other people not to take it so fast? Or that maybe that Rob was just diving beyond his limits. Or that sometimes bad things happen to folks you wish it hadn't?

Maybe you were thinking that someone in Key Largo has a huge beef with Peter Sotis. A business beef, perhaps, and might say all kinds of things to make him look particularly bad if there were a pending business lawsuit, including some Libyan connection, restamping cylinders not in accordance with DOT, lots of things. Maybe you weren't thinking that at all.

Isn't that what Sotis described via Concannon? Volunteered to get a $15 grappling hook, as the Haggard Lawfirm described, as the Horizon Divers crew were just too tired to get it themselves. They could have just simply leave the dang thing out there & come back the next day to get it when they are not "too tired".

I think " sometimes bad things happen to folks you wish it hadn't?[/QUOTE]"

It's too bad and it's sad but it was just a unfortunate accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom