Rob Stewart and Third Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I find myself asked by divers and non divers alike, about my opinion concerning Rob's unfortunate accident. In responding to a friend's request I decided to watch the CBC documentary and read Mr Osborne's article Filmmaker Rob Stewart’s death wasn’t an anomaly: the real risks of scuba diving - CBC Docs POV

I now have more questions than answers and I know it has been discussed on here before but those threads are so far off the rails I am asking for opinions on one important question.

What evidence is there that 3 dives a day is dangerous? Peter Sotis states in the interview that he knows of no body of evidence that prevents one from doing 3 dives in a day. I agree, I have done it many times. I don't do it while teaching of course because I like to instill conservative values but knowing my personal limits and possible tolerance for this behavior makes me comfortable with it.

That being said the dive Rob was involved in was on the threshold of what I would consider a deep dive, ie. 200ft is deepish, 209ft is a tiny bit more than deepish in my books.

Two respected dive instructors in the article are quoted as saying "one dive per day is the limit for deep dives"

Sorry guys, I'm calling BS if you are referring to the depths referenced in the movie. What studies or evidence can you provide to prove me wrong?

Just my opinion, I’m sure someone will disagree....but I think generalizations are dangerous when it comes to tech diving.

I know for me, 2 200’+ dives in a day is ok...if they’re not too long and I get plenty of time to deco shallow. Would 3 short 200’ dives be ok for me? Maybe. Sometimes 2 is too much depending on conditions, length of the dives, and a hundred other things. So for me to say that 3 is too much without qualifying it would be silly.

How much is too much is very much an individual thing and is subject to change depending on the situation. Blanket statements like those have no place in tech diving, with the exception of statements to the effect of “know your own limits and stay within them”.

Just like gradient factors are an individual thing and depend on conditions, limits to the number, depth and length of dives are as well.

Before you push it, figure out what your own tolerance is, and don’t just trust someone else’s opinion if they’re pushing you to do more.

I thought Rob drowned due to hypoxia, nothing to do with 3 deep (200’+) dives.

When I ran tech diving trips, crew in safety sensitive positions (DSO, Master, deckhands) were allowed one per day. Mates were allowed 2. Customers were scheduled for 2, but if they had some weird reason for 3, I had no worries about that.

To speak specifically about Rob and Sotis, they had over 2 hours of omitted decompression based on the the algorithm and gas they were diving. Hypoxia wasn’t a problem for them.

When I ran tech diving trips, crew in safety sensitive positions (DSO, Master, deckhands) were allowed one per day. Mates were allowed 2. Customers were scheduled for 2, but if they had some weird reason for 3, I had no worries about that.

To speak specifically about Rob and Sotis, they had over 2 hours of omitted decompression based on the the algorithm and gas they were diving. Hypoxia wasn’t a problem for them.

What were the causes of Sotis struggling on the surface that needed assistance to get back on the boat & Rob passing out on the surface and sinking to the abyss without being noticed by the crew then?

What were the causes of Sotis struggling on the surface that needed assistance to get back on the boat & Rob passing out on the surface and sinking to the abyss without being noticed by the crew then?
Hasn’t been made public yet.

Just my opinion, I’m sure someone will disagree....but I think generalizations are dangerous when it comes to tech diving.

I know for me, 2 200’+ dives in a day is ok...if they’re not too long and I get plenty of time to deco shallow. Would 3 short 200’ dives be ok for me? Maybe. Sometimes 2 is too much depending on conditions, length of the dives, and a hundred other things. So for me to say that 3 is too much without qualifying it would be silly.

How much is too much is very much an individual thing and is subject to change depending on the situation. Blanket statements like those have no place in tech diving, with the exception of statements to the effect of “know your own limits and stay within them”.

Just like gradient factors are an individual thing and depend on conditions, limits to the number, depth and length of dives are as well.

Before you push it, figure out what your own tolerance is, and don’t just trust someone else’s opinion if they’re pushing you to do more.

H...

Rebreathers aside...is it always safe to say ''you know your limits''...recalls me back to an old school chum's father who related his statement to drunkeness...he used to say...''I know my limit...but pass out before I reach it''...

Limits may be affected by a lot of factors...mental state...alertness...hydration...hunger...carbon dioxide load...many more...

I would think by the time Peter and Rob entered the water for the third time...they were physically exhausted...dehydrated and hungry...and what the hell kind of charter boat does not have experienced crew on board to retreive the tie-in line...I've been on lots of ocean charters and never did the ''customers'' have to tie the dive boat into the wreck pre-dive...or untie it post dive...

If Peter and Rob realized the actual current state of their ''limits'' before attempting the third dive...Rob would be alive...and Peter would not have blacked out...if he did in fact blackout...so many things in question regarding this incident...

W...

About knowing your limits: when you see the ‘B-Roll’ from making the movie, which may or may not be available, you will know exactly how and why....

I think nothing really needs to be added other than what has been said. I have frequently done two deep dives (well over 200') in a day. It all depends on so many factors thought. Total run time, water temp, physical feeling etc.

Would I do three deep(ish) dives in a day...possibly but it would be evaluated on a case by case scenario and a decision would be made. From what I know about this particular event, very little, I really don't think the amount of dives that day had anything to do with the incident and there were much more glaring issues that lead to a tragic death.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom