Filmmaker Rob Stewart's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Concannon won in the 25mil Lamartek case. Case dismissed.

He is on retainer to a number of SCUBA companies.

He has not lost a jury case in SCUBA related trials.

If he is in on this case on the side of the defendants it will be
interesting indeed.

For Rob's parents to get what they want, they don't have to win the court case. All they have to do is win the court of public opinion. That would almost certainly end Sotis' career as a dive instructor (if it's not already over). If he can't prove in court he is innocent, even if the court rules in his favor Rob's parents win.

That's not how it works.

+++ I had one investigator tell me... "If you are in the head during the surface interval, and some guy you don't even know the name of has a heart attack at the back of boat, then you had better start making notes and phone calls... especially if your instructor insurance is paid up."

For Rob's parents to get what they want, they don't have to win the court case. All they have to do is win the court of public opinion. That would almost certainly end Sotis' career as a dive instructor (if it's not already over). If he can't prove in court he is innocent, even if the court rules in his favor Rob's parents win.
I think that ^^^ is a given. But then a lawsuit does no one any good. Peter was long tried and convicted right here on ScubaBoard and Facebook before suit was filed. Now, he gets a day in court, and if Concannon prevails, gets his name cleared. And, Concannon goes back for the cost of defense to pile injury back on the plaintiff. All anyone has to do is look at his record to figure that out. Of course, no one wins every time, but I still can't figure this whole lawsuit out.

It was great that someone found the mans body but was it legal for them to do a recovery?

It would seem to me if someone other then the investigators found the body they should have flagged it and left, the investigation for this law suit should have started on othe ocean floor. Someone messed up bad IMO

It was great that someone found the mans body but was it legal for them to do a recovery?
I'm in the opposite corner of the country. Recently, a buddy of mine had to drag on the surface a body (not a diver) to shore (another diver brought the body to the surface). Given that the police and fire department waited on shore and wouldn't even step in the water to help my friend get the body out of water (it was a long surface swim, he wasn't going to ditch gear as obviously no one's life was on the line, so he was exhausted), my guess is that it wasn't illegal. I don't think a body found underwater is the same as one found on land, especially in the case of Rob's body, being that it was deeper than 200 feet, low viz, and currents that could have moved the body (how to mark the location? Tie a line with a buoy? I don't think so), I can't see an issue with someone bringing up the body.

There is far more to the story. It isn't that the body was recovered, it's who recovered the body.

There is far more to the story. It isn't that the body was recovered, it's who recovered the body.
Ah, yeah, I remember about that now.

Back
Top Bottom