Filmmaker Rob Stewart's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not how it works.
So how does it work? When I go on a dive boat, am I accountable for all my former students who may be on that boat? Because in my local area that may be quite a number of them.

Was there a prior relationship with Key Largo Fire that is now not being recognized?
Seems like they're trying to distance themselves in case there was some wrongdoing in including the people who were included in the recovery team.

So how does it work? When I go on a dive boat, am I accountable for all my former students who may be on that boat? Because in my local area that may be quite a number of them.
My understanding that as instructors, we may always be liable for students, hence the importance of paperwork to demonstrate that all standards were met.

In all the cave diving accidents i've ever read about one team would find the body and mark where it was at and then a recovery team/investigators that were chosen wisely, go in and retrieve the body that way evidence is preserved with no one involved that may have an agenda just in case there's litigation

Well, yes, but you don't need to be on the boat with them. In the Dewolf v. Kohler case, Dewolf went after the original certifying instructor. Their insurance company settled, even though there was no way that Dewolfs instruction could have been inadequate, but they had a chance to get out cheap so they did. That's how insurance works. It pays for your defense regardless if you did anything g wrong or not.

They don't even have to be your student for you to be liable.

When I was sued for 10 million, I don't think they were after the money. Hell, I didn't have a grand to my name. They were after "justice"... they wanted to ruin me financially. Fortunately, the great folks on SB would not let that happen.

Hell, I didn't have a grand to my name.

In my native Holland, there's a saying, you can't pluck feathers from a naked chicken. How is that supposed to work? Garnish all future earnings until the award is paid?

Their insurance company settled, even though there was no way that Dewolfs instruction could have been inadequate, but they had a chance to get out cheap so they did.
I was recently involved in an accident that had nothing to do with scuba. When I reported it to my insurance company, I gave my version of what happened. My account put the other party completely at fault, and subsequent analysis has shown that to be true. When my insurance company heard my version of the story, and without doing one second of outside of investigation, they let me know that if my version of the story was accurate and the other party sued, they would immediately offer a small settlement because it would be cheaper than the alternative. They wanted to make sure I understood from the start that their actions did not indicate a lack of trust in my version of the events.

Back
Top Bottom