Ferry schedule since Barcos Caribe started service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry you had that experience - sincerely. I was simply saying that it had not been mine in the trips I have made over the past 3 months at various times. Sounds like you may have been caught in the transition period and the "fighting" among the three companies. I wish you better experiences with the ferries in the future.

Trips were all taken between April 3 - 10.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2015 at 06:46 PM ----------

Any live music on BC? Nice weatherdeck? I eyeballed their boats a little but I have not been on one yet.

I'll let Christi answer the questions that you asked of her, but other features would include better windows - you can actually see out of them, and have shades. Seats are a bit better, and I want to say there was a foot rest, which was nice for boss woman who dreams of reaching 5' someday. Boats are smaller - about 100 - 150 less capacity. Smaller entertainment/infomercial screens. Better barf bags, and quieter, making it much easier to hear the bags in use. Faster - crossing time about 10 minutes less. Crew makes a concerted effort to be welcoming.

Any live music on BC? Nice weatherdeck? I eyeballed their boats a little but I have not been on one yet.

If they don't have live music I'd use them.

I made the mistake of sitting in the front row inside once.

Faster - crossing time about 10 minutes less.

I just documented the crossing time for Barcos Caribe, Ultramar and the Mexico ferries for multiple Cozumel to Playa del Carmen (PDC) crossings for the last week or so. I used the Playacar Palace webcam to time the arrival into PDC and the published ferry departure time for the start.

1) The average for Barcos Caribe of 22 crossings observed was 40.2 minutes. The times ranged from 32 minutes to 54 minutes. I checked the Cozumel departure today for three of the four crossings that were 45 minutes or more and they were on time which may eliminate an unpublished schedule change as a reason for the excessive times.

Regardless, if I arbitrarily delete the five times that were 45 minutes or more, I get an average crossing time of 37.8 minutes.

2) For ten Mexico ferry crossings observed that range from 33 to 40 minutes, I get an average of 36.3 minutes.

3) The nine Ultramar ferry crossings observed ranged from 34 to 42 minutes for an average of 37.4 minutes.

My observations suggests that they have nearly identical crossing times. Since deleting the five Barcos Caribe times that were 45 minutes or longer may have no basis in correctly interpreting the data, Barcos Caribe may be a few minutes slower than the other two ferry companies.

I also noted that they usually departed PDC between five and ten minutes after the scheduled departure time. Two departures happened in less than five minutes and about three happened more than ten minutes after the schedule departure time.

This was a life saver Wednesday, or at least I got to sleep in the room I'd already paid for on Cozumel. My flights were delayed across Texas - connecting in Houston - pretty bad down there, so I was late into Cancun, skipped the bus and took an expensive taxi into town to my dentist office, but was still late getting out. I just caught the 9:20pm bus from Cancun to PDC, got there about 10:30pm, did not see any tricycle porters to help me with bags - damn! Fortunately, in a way, United had delayed one of my bags and would have to deliver it to my hotel, but I was still slow with what I did have to hump.

When I asked for directions on 5th Ave, one local offered to show me, and he drug one of my bags to speed the trip up. I just made the 11pm ferry - which did not exist before. We made a fast crossing, getting to Coz about 11:35pm I think, and I saw one tricycle porter - and grabbed him. He knew where Suites Colonial was so didn't need a taxi. He even had me ride with my bags - see pic below. I tipped double...!!

If they don't have live music I'd use them.
Nope, quiet - and the seats recline nicely.

I made the mistake of sitting in the front row inside once.
That's for handicapped! What happened to you...??

Be nice. This is my worse selfie ever...!!

0527152346b.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, that was a rough travel day!!! :lol:
Didn't sleep much the night before, never do, left the house at 5am, got to hotel at midnight. Yeah it was.

I got lost walking the other day. I am off to La Chosa 2 blocks away according to google. I am so out of date on places to eat. Hope I make it.

We used Barcos Caribe on this last trip. It was simply seemless. It seemed quicker than the other two and more comfortable. Schedule was dead on time and we really enjoyed the ride and service. I can't remember if the other 2 companies have seat drink service, but we noticed it as a big plus on Barcos. The only way I could see myself going back to one of the other 2 would be strictly for a timing/schedule issue.

Back
Top Bottom