Ultramar Ferry suspended for exceeding capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — The Federal Commission for Protection Against Sanitary Risks (Cofepris) has suspended an Ultramar ferry for exceeding passenger capacity.

Francisco Toledo Alvarado of Cofepris (Comisión Federal para la Protección contra Riesgos Sanitarios) said the boat was grounded Sunday afternoon after an inspection found it to be over capacity. He said due to that fact, people onboard were not able to practice healthy distance, therefore, the company was also found to be in non-compliance with the state’s health measures.

The inspection was carried out at the Playa del Camen ferry terminal. Toledo Alvarado did not say how long the Ultramar boat would be grounded.

At the time of the inspection, officials guesstimated approximately 400 people were crammed in lines to use the ferry service to cross over to Cozumel.

Not surprising. Same thing happens at the airport with the Taxi vans. There is a stated COVID legal capacity and there is reality. Reality is the Ferries and the Taxi vans will cram them as full as they can until they get caught. Then they'll pay a fine or whatever, and go back to cramming again.

We took Winjet the other day and it too exceeded capacity...guess we'll just have to swim...

I was horrified at the way people were packed on the ferries, beyond regulated capacity, never mind covid, in October when I flew in via Cancun. To the point that I changed my return flight to go from Cozumel. It was, IMO, dangerous, and not a risk I cared to take. So all I can say is that I am surprised that it took this long for authorities to address this safety issue.

I was there in October as well. Are the ferry companies the ones artificially limiting supply? The waits are very long and the boats are so full when running so few. Why not open up more?

I was there in October as well. Are the ferry companies the ones artificially limiting supply?
Yes. They have decided to only run one ferry line per day...so half the usual number. Plus, until recently, they were running fewer trips daily than is the case usually.

Are the ferry companies the ones artificially limiting supply? The waits are very long and the boats are so full when running so few. Why not open up more?
They do seem to be trying to run fewer boats with higher profits. I liked them better when they competed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom