Ferry schedule since Barcos Caribe started service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was trying to find info on the 'New' ferry, Barcos Caribe, to see if it would work for me to do an evening flight into Cancun instead of the AM flight I normally take direct into Cozumel. Initially I had problems finding the website but after going down to the pier and photographing the schedule I then found the website for Barcos Caribe, Horarios, Barcos Caribe, Cozumel m which is in Spanish.
Here is the info I have been able to get and perhaps it will help others.

The new ferry is run by Barcos Caribe and while they advertise fares of $69 MXN that is for local residents of Quintana Roo, the cost for foreign adults is $135 MXN ($8.81 USD at today’s exchange rate) and $70 MXN for foreign child. The posted USD exchange rate was not favorable but I am not sure if it was current. Personally I always use Peso's (MXN) in the United Mexican States and USD in the United States of America.

The ‘old’ ferry system is a duopoly run by the Mexico Water Jet and Ultramar ferry companies. They have a no compete agreement and alternate schedules on even and odd days, basically it is a single schedule. The fare is $156 MXN for adults and $89 MXN for children, posted on MWJ's website, and $163 / $97 on Ultramar's site. They each have a separate rate for local residents which is about 1/2 off.
I would not pre-purchase a ticket or buy a round trip ticket but get a ticket at the pier for whichever ferry departs next.

Schedule (April 2015)
Barcos Caribe:
Departing from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel
0630, 0900, 1030, 1215, 1415, 1600, 1745, 1930, 2130, 2300

Departing from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen
0530, 0800, 0945, 1130, 1330, 1500, 1645, 1830, 20;30, 2200

Mexico WaterJet and Ultramar (they swap schedule slots daily so I listed them as one schedule )
Departing from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel
0700, 0800, 0900, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2000, 2200.

Departing from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen
0600, 0700, 0800, 0900, 1000, 1100, 1200 1300, 1400, 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100

Last edited:
After 10 trips during the first of the month, I can tell you that the ferry schedules for all three companies aren't worth the cost of the paper they're printed on.

We found that from day to day, you never knew who was sailing and when.

It was obvious that the objective of all three of them, was to do everything in their power to screw the competition.

Last edited:
Does this ferry use the same docks in Playa and in Cozumel as the 2 other operators?

Yes. My wife and I flew into Cancun and took the ferry to Cozumel last month. I thought it was convenient to be able walk up to the ferry terminal and just take the next ferry. Each time the wait was only 15 minutes.

After 10 trips during the first of the month, I can tell you that the ferry schedules for all three companies aren't worth the cost of the paper they're printed on.

We found that from day to day, you never knew who was sailing and when.

It was obvious that the objective of all three of them, was to do everything in their power to screw the competition.

That has not been my experience as a full time resident here. I have made half a dozen crossings in the last 3 months and schedule has been reliable. I prefer the new ferry company, Ultramar and then Mexico Waterjets in that order.

That has not been my experience as a full time resident here. I have made half a dozen crossings in the last 3 months and schedule has been reliable. I prefer the new ferry company, Ultramar and then Mexico Waterjets in that order.

I'm happy for you. We made 5 (round trip) crossings in the period of 10 days. Our respective residency seems like it would have little bearing on the facts.

Our experience with Barcos Caribe was the worst of the three. We would go to the window on the mainland and the island, ask them when they would be sailing. They would take their printed schedule, write in the corrections, and then at that time, those times would usually be adjusted in no coherent fashion. We bought a Barcos Caribe ticket one evening for the mainland, and about 6 back from the front of the line, told us and about 75 people behind us, that there was no more room. Sorry bout that. We were making more trips, so no big deal, I just ran back and bought a ticket for Ultramar, and ran over to their boat, and just made it, but boy oh boy, you should have seen the near riot (locals) behind me in the Barcos Caribe line.

In this case Barcos Caribe was sailing at 6:45, and Ultramar at 7:00.

On another day, Ultramar had a boat scheduled for 7:00. It sailed at 7:00, which we were in line for, but it obviously was not full. No problem, we were told, another boat at the dock will sail at about 7:20, which it did, and was maybe 1/4 capacity.

While we were never denied boarding on either Ultramar or Waterjets, the old days of about on the hour most hours couldn't have been further from the truth. We saw posted times of 15 after, 20 after, half, 40, and 45 after.

Additionally, should you need to use the restroom while traveling on the Barcos Caribe boat, you will need to go outside and access the restroom there. I did, and even though I've spent weeks at a time on the open ocean, I still didn't feel real comfortable with the ferry rolling pretty good, spray in my face, wet deck, wearing flip-flops, and completely sober.

So, Christy, good luck with your trip planning, and enjoy the hell out of Barcos Caribe.

Last edited:
I'm happy for you. We made 5 (round trip) crossings in the period of 10 days. Our respective residency seems like it would have little bearing on the facts.

Our experience with Barcos Caribe was the worst of the three. We would go to the window on the mainland and the island, ask them when they would be sailing. They would take their printed schedule, write in the corrections, and then at that time, those times would usually be adjusted in no coherent fashion. We bought a Barcos Caribe ticket one evening for the mainland, and about 6 back from the front of the line, told us and about 75 people behind us, that there was no more room. Sorry bout that. We were making more trips, so no big deal, I just ran back and bought a ticket for Ultramar, and ran over to their boat, and just made it, but boy oh boy, you should have seen the near riot (locals) behind me in the Barcos Caribe line.

In this case Barcos Caribe was sailing at 6:45, and Ultramar at 7:00.

On another day, Ultramar had a boat scheduled for 7:00. It sailed at 7:00, which we were in line for, but it obviously was not full. No problem, we were told, another boat at the dock will sail at about 7:20, which it did, and was maybe 1/4 capacity.

While we were never denied boarding on either Ultramar or Waterjets, the old days of about on the hour most hours couldn't have been further from the truth. We saw posted times of 15 after, 20 after, half, 40, and 45 after.

Additionally, should you need to use the restroom while traveling on the Barcos Caribe boat, you will need to go outside and access the restroom there. I did, and even though I've spent weeks at a time on the open ocean, I still didn't feel real comfortable with the ferry rolling pretty good, spray in my face, wet deck, wearing flip-flops, and completely sober.

So, Christy, good luck with your trip planning, and enjoy the hell out of Barcos Caribe.

Sorry you had that experience - sincerely. I was simply saying that it had not been mine in the trips I have made over the past 3 months at various times. Sounds like you may have been caught in the transition period and the "fighting" among the three companies. I wish you better experiences with the ferries in the future.

Sorry you had that experience - sincerely. I was simply saying that it had not been mine in the trips I have made over the past 3 months at various times. Sounds like you may have been caught in the transition period and the "fighting" among the three companies. I wish you better experiences with the ferries in the future.

Any live music on BC? Nice weatherdeck? I eyeballed their boats a little but I have not been on one yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom