Cozumel report , Cozumel Hotel, Dive Paradise, Volaris Airline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed. Every language has slight regional differences, even within the same country. I am sure the Parisians say that our Quebecois don't speak "good French". But one can generally make oneself understood...
True, in the same sense that the language spoken in the United States of America is English. Many Brits would disagree. :D

RosettaStone distinguishes the language by calling it Spanish (Latin America) which is a dialect of Spanish. The Mexican people I know personally (and there are a lot of them here in Californio) call it Mexican! Really it does not matter what you call it if you don't understand it you may miss your Volaris flight!
Rosetta Stone is stupid in that case. Mexican Spanish is not a dialect of Castillian Spanish. There are some word variations and pronunciation differences, that's all. A Spaniard can easily understand a Mexican just as easily as a Californian can understand a Texan. Well, maybe that's a bad example. I rarely can understand Texans.

BTW, I've known Mexican-Americans for the 40 some odd years I've lived in California and have never, ever heard one refer to Spanish as Mexican. Maybe it's a Fresno thing.

It is true that the smaller boats do not have tops on them so sunscreen (which is illegal in the park) on exposed skin might be prudent especially the first few days.
Another BTW, sunscreen is not illegal in the park. There are many "legal" brands of "eco" sunscreen available.

Another BTW, sunscreen is not illegal in the park. There are many "legal" brands of "eco" sunscreen available.

It would be my opinion, that biodegradable sunscreens ought to be used whether you're in the park or not, and it would be arguably even more important if you're planning on getting in a cenote.

They're just as effective as the chemical laden varieties, although a bit more expensive. One needs to be careful though, and look at the ingredients, as some that tout themselves as earth friendly or even state that they're biodegradable, are absolutely not.

:popcorn:

This should be interesting.

It would be my opinion, that biodegradable sunscreens ought to be used whether you're in the park or not, and it would be arguably even more important if you're planning on getting in a cenote.
That's not my opinion. My opinion is that the only study ever done to date on biodegradable sunscreens (Danovaro, 2008) was poorly done and has little application to real-world effects of sunscreen on real-world coral reefs. It's my firm belief that "eco" sunscreens are as helpful to the reefs as SpareAir is to divers, yet both products make their manufacturers lots of money.

That's not my opinion. My opinion is that the only study ever done to date on biodegradable sunscreens (Danovaro, 2008) was poorly done and has little application to real-world effects of sunscreen on real-world coral reefs. It's my firm belief that "eco" sunscreens are as helpful to the reefs as SpareAir is to divers, yet both products make their manufacturers lots of money.

I see why dmoore19 posted what he did.

As a scubaboard irregular or maybe I've graduated to semi-regular, I was unaware that this subject had come up before, and apparently been discussed and argued to the point that Bess and Beauty are now a bloody pulps.

I think that there are some things we can reasonably conclude without seeing rigorous scientific proof of said conclusion.

I have looked at the ingredients of many different kinds of sunblock. I think that the ingredients of Mexitan, the brand that I currently have, is more environmentally friendly, and less apt to cause damage to the reef or cenote ecosystems, than "regular" sunscreen.

Even though I am by nature, a cheap SOB, it is a cost that I'm willing to incur, in the (off??) chance that for once I'm doing more good than harm to the environment.

To help with the mental image of me, I do not own a pair of Birkenstocks, or own a Prius. I find both obnoxious.

Oh, my were those some good arguments. I still pop into Mega and buy the biodegradable kind in the pump bottle. Works great, price is fine so all the bases covered with no inconvenience on my part.

I think that there are some things we can reasonably conclude without seeing rigorous scientific proof of said conclusion.
I reservedly concur. However, what those conclusions are are where the, um, spirited discussions spring from. Given the same set of incomplete data, you and I (for example) may disagree 180 degrees regarding what can be "reasonably concluded".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom