Feedback on buying reg for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reekah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone, first post here and just wanted to say thanks in advance to everyone for taking the time to help a new diver.

I am certified up to rescue level (PADI) and heading to the Bay Islands in two months to complete my divemaster internship (hoping to do my instructor courses in the near future, but we'll see how it goes down there first). I am going to be buying a reg before I go as they cost a ton on the island.

I am wondering if someone could give me some feedback on the reg setup I've chosen - I have done some online research but there's only so much looking around online can tell you. I would rather hear from people who have more experience and knowledge than me!

I will primarily (ie. 99%) be warm water diving, but I am Canadian and I guess there's a chance I could dive here once in awhile when I get home. The most important feature I was looking for was a small, light second stage as I'm a girl and have a really small mouth/jaw, and if I'm going to be diving 3x a day long-term, I need something that won't cause jaw fatigue. I also wanted something that could easily be serviced in the common warm-water diving areas (ie. Bay Islands, Thailand, etc.) so I decided on Mares. I need something in the "under $1000 for first & second stage, octopus, SPG and BCD power inflator hose" range.

I am thinking of getting the following:

Mares Proton MR42 'She Dives' Reg - Mares Proton MR42 She Dives Metal Regulator | Dolphin Scuba Center
and
Mares Prestige Octopus - Mares Prestige Octopus | Dolphin Scuba Center

I have seen good reviews for both (although there are not so many reviews out there for the reg). Any feedback you guys can offer would be great. Thanks!

I have a good friend who is an instructor and dive shop owner for the last 15 years. He's also a Mares distributor. He now swears by ScubaPro (MK 25/ S 555) but is still a dealer for Mares.

Pretty much all regs are good nowadays. ScubaPro is a proven workhorse. The S 555, 600 and I would guess the newer model second stages are small and light.

You can also get special comfort mouthpieces that will fit any regulator.

I'm confused. How long have you been diving? You say you are new but that you are also in DM training.

If it was me, I'd get a DRIS BP/W and Hog D1 single tank reg set. Well under $1000. However, since you are doing your DM thing, you might want to think to ask what brands they want their divers in and what they have the parts and skills to service.

I don't know the Bay Islands, but in Jamaica the Sherwood unblanced piston regs are a workhorse for the rental fleets and perform well enough on the cheap.

Thanks everyone for your responses - the Scubapro MK 25 is out of my price range but the MK 11 was recommended to me by the owner of the dive shop where I'll be doing my training. They sell/service Mares and Scubapro, and I believe Sherwood to a lesser extent. Mares and Scubapro seem to be the most popular with shops on Roatan. I have heard good things about Hog but I am worried about being able to get it serviced as it doesn't sound like any shops where I'm going service that brand.

Great suggestion about the mouthpiece - I will likely still get a comfort mouthpiece with whatever reg I end up buying, but I still would like a small/light reg that doesn't pull and is also good for traveling with (ie. even with a mouthpiece I don't want a big reg).

I dove a Mares MR12 Axis for about 6 years and they are good regs. I'm sure you'll be find with an MK11 or the Mares. With the Hog you can buy the service kits yourself and any good tech should be able to service it. But still, sounds like you might be best keeping your new host happy.

If I remember right, during my dm and IE, they recommended that we use balanced regs because of the ability to deliver more air in case of emergencies while teaching or guiding dives. Not sure if that was policy or just our CD's advice but it makes sense.

I donno where you are in Canada but in Toronto you can get an Apeks DS4/xTX50 for under 500 cad add an octo for under 200 and you will be well under 1000
I would go with either aqualung or sp

If I remember right, during my dm and IE, they recommended that we use balanced regs because of the ability to deliver more air in case of emergencies while teaching or guiding dives. Not sure if that was policy or just our CD's advice but it makes sense.

I don't see this listed anywhere in the product specifications... does that mean it's not balanced?

I donno where you are in Canada but in Toronto you can get an Apeks DS4/xTX50 for under 500 cad add an octo for under 200 and you will be well under 1000
I would go with either aqualung or sp

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm on the west coast. I will look into Scubapro again as it sounds like for where I'm going to dive, Scubapro and Mares are my choices as that's all I can get serviced. The prices at my LDS are insane so I am looking online.

I don't see this listed anywhere in the product specifications... does that mean it's not balanced?

I've been looking and I can't find anything other than it's "high performance". It doesn't say whether it's a piston or diaphragm either. It LOOKS like a balanced 1st stage reg though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom