Feedback on buying reg for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking and I can't find anything other than it's "high performance". It doesn't say whether it's a piston or diaphragm either. It LOOKS like a balanced 1st stage reg though.

I found this: Mares Proton 42 She Dives Regulator that talks about the dry kit at the bottom - it mentions both piston and diaphragm... sorry, am a bit clueless about the tech stuff. I know this is just for a dry kit, but does that tell you anything about the reg?

And I noticed on a couple sites (ie. Mares Proton 42 Metal She Dives Balanced Regulator - Snorkeling Equipment) they say "balanced" in the name, but I guess that's not totally reliable.

I could always call Mares..? So I should ask if it's balanced and if it's a piston or diaphragm?

Piston or diaphragm isn't so important as far as air delivery potential but balanced vs unbalanced is.
Also unbalanced start to breath harder at depth as your tank pressure decreases.
But yes, I would call Mares and ask. Maybe it's something new. I used to work on regs a lot 12 years ago but am a bit out of touch with the newer models.
I personally use a SP MK25 with an S 555 2nd stage. They're not that expensive and I abuse mine.
The 555 is just like the 600 without the fancy adjustment knob.

Don't get anything too expensive right now especially if you will end up working in the industry and can get manufacturers keyperson deals for less than wholesale.
Leisurepro has the Mares MR12 Ranger for $150 which will be more than adequate for your warm water diving.

2nd stage comfort has more to do with mouthpiece, hose length and stiffness than size of case and "lightness".

In 2 weeks I'll be getting the Mares Rover 12, and from everything I've read about them, they are an excellent reg. And as far as a dry kit, I've been told you dont really need one fore mares unless your doing ice diving.

---------- Post added ----------

By the way, the Mares Rover 12 (both 1st and 2nd stages) are on ebay for $160 delivered.

Piston or diaphragm isn't so important as far as air delivery potential but balanced vs unbalanced is.
Also unbalanced start to breath harder at depth as your tank pressure decreases.
But yes, I would call Mares and ask. Maybe it's something new. I used to work on regs a lot 12 years ago but am a bit out of touch with the newer models.
I personally use a SP MK25 with an S 555 2nd stage. They're not that expensive and I abuse mine.
The 555 is just like the 600 without the fancy adjustment knob.

Thanks so much for the info, that is really helpful! It sounds like I will definitely want a balanced reg. I will call Mares and ask. That SP MK 25 has been recommended to me numerous times, I just wish it was a little cheaper :depressed:

Don't get anything too expensive right now especially if you will end up working in the industry and can get manufacturers keyperson deals for less than wholesale.
Leisurepro has the Mares MR12 Ranger for $150 which will be more than adequate for your warm water diving.

2nd stage comfort has more to do with mouthpiece, hose length and stiffness than size of case and "lightness".

Agreed - not looking to spend a ton of money now, but I am headed to Roatan in the Bay Islands and it's extremely difficult to get anything shipped to the island so that is why I'm looking to get gear now. Most shops seem to reluctantly let you use their rental gear if you don't have your own, but definitely prefer pros with their own equipment.

I was mostly looking for a small/light 2nd stage for travel rather than jaw fatigue (it's not going to be heavy or light underwater anyway!) but I did choose the Mares Proton over the slightly cheaper Mares Prestige 12S (Mares Prestige 12S She Dives Regulator: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors) because of the miflex hose on the Proton. It sounds like that type of hose would be more what I'm looking for to avoid the pulling I find with most regs I've used so far.

I found this: Mares Proton 42 She Dives Regulator that talks about the dry kit at the bottom - it mentions both piston and diaphragm... sorry, am a bit clueless about the tech stuff. I know this is just for a dry kit, but does that tell you anything about the reg?
This line in the specifications does:

Mares Proton 42 Metal She Dives Regulator: Balanced diaphragm design

There's a Mares Store in the West End also - so that might be a good option in case you needed anything.

Capture.JPG

Some people have problems with the miflex hoses, so you may want to lookup what problems people have had with them first...just a thought.

All Mares 1st stages are balanced diaphragms except for the entry model R2 witch is an unbalanced flow-by piston.

None of their 2nd stages are balanced but many do have a bypass tube (VAD) that boosts breathing effort without using knobs and levers.

I would go with a Subgear Cayman which is a rebadged Scubapro Mk-17 with an S-555. It was a Scuba labs testers choice and I have seen them on Ebay for $300 for the first and second. Add a cheap octo and an SPG and be done with it.

If your bothered by reg pulling I would suggest trying a Sherwood Maximus regulator. The hose routes under your arm and is quite flexible so it should not pull.

Back
Top Bottom