Feedback on buying reg for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There aren't that many shops IME where you can buy equipment for less than wholesale prices!
if you will end up working in the industry and can get manufacturers keyperson deals for less than wholesale.

I wouldn't get too caught up with the differences between balanced/non-balanced (especially in the 2nd stage). Go for something cheap and cheerful and one that can be serviced easily. I honestly doubt that your dives will require the ferrari-type regs just yet. Later when you get more in to a certain kind of diving, a reg upgrade is pretty common and one reg can be used for pool/CW sessions and the other for the deeper OW diving.

After all that, a balanced 1st stage is very good. I don't think you'll notice the difference in balancing the 2nd.

Anyone find it odd that the OP is AOW and rescue certified, going for DM cert and then on to instructor, yet doesn't own a reg set? I view posts like this with a great deal of skepticism. Especially from low post counts.

Anyone find it odd that the OP is AOW and rescue certified, going for DM cert and then on to instructor, yet doesn't own a reg set? .

No. I think a lot of people get into diving and want to try and live the life by becoming an instructor. I saw DM candidates who didn't own gear when I was doing my training. And I serviced regs for instructors who didn't know anything about their gear.

Thank you a ton to all the posters who have commented here, your advice and insight has been incredibly helpful! I have some new things to look into thanks to you guys and I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going with now. Much appreciated!

Anyone find it odd that the OP is AOW and rescue certified, going for DM cert and then on to instructor, yet doesn't own a reg set? I view posts like this with a great deal of skepticism. Especially from low post counts.

Hi kwinter, please feel free to message me privately with any concerns you have about me and my diving. I started this thread to seek advice on buying a regulator, not have people judge my plans, and I have received some excellent advice so far so I prefer that this thread not get derailed with posts like this. Perhaps I should have posted in the new diver forums but it didn't seem appropriate for the questions I was asking and I'm not a brand new diver, I thought this forum was a better choice. If not, my apologies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom