Why no adjustment knobs on Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TBH, I'm not entirely sure :) From my barebones knowledge, I thought it allows one to change the cracking effort?
Yes.

But you bring up a good point; why exactly is it needed in other regs, like most of the ScubaPro lineup?
That way you can tune a reg "hot" (low cracking effort) and de-tune it if it is on a stage, is a secondary, if you are scootering, in current, etc. And then set it "hot" again once it is in your mouth or you are out of current. Also to compensate for seat set, spring aging, etc.

What I didn't grasp, once any reg (with additional components), is correctly tuned, isn't that reg "done & tuned"? Why would it need to later be adjusted?
See above.

In other words they don't need them :D

I've been using Mares regs for over 30 years and they are perfect.

My tech regs are ScubaPro Mk25 with S600 second stages and the difference in breathing is noticeable especially when I switch to a deco gas where I use a Mares MR22 and Abyss second stage.

I have always been curious about Mares regs. Most of my LDS do not carry Mares regulators, so I never considered them when I purchased mine. Judging from what you've said, they seem to be great! I assume you prefer Mares over your Scubapro, (and if so) how come? I'm looking to get feedback from folks who use Mares regs, so thanks for the information!

I have always been curious about Mares regs. Most of my LDS do not carry Mares regulators, so I never considered them when I purchased mine. Judging from what you've said, they seem to be great! I assume you prefer Mares over your Scubapro, (and if so) how come? I'm looking to get feedback from folks who use Mares regs, so thanks for the information!

I'd like clarity on that too, I read it as the SP breathing nicer. Easy to see how wars start.

Your reasoning about airflow around the internal components is very helpful to visualize. What I didn't grasp, once any reg (with additional components), is correctly tuned, isn't that reg "done & tuned"? Why would it need to later be adjusted?
Second stages with a new seat may need an adjustment once the seat is worn in a bit. This is generally a one time thing, but it's certainly easier to give a partial turn on a knob than to have to mess with orifices and potentially even lever heights.

Other than that, you have the issue of hot-tuned regs that are not in your mouth free-flowing when you first enter the water. This is easily stopped by flipping the second stage over or covering the hole in the mouthpiece with a finger, but it does seem to freak people out and it can be an annoyance if you have a long trudge through chest-high water. A dive/pre-dive switch or other adjustment that lets you detune the reg can keep this from happening.

Mares actually specs their non-adjustable octos to have a higher cracking pressure than their primary second stages to minimize surface freeflows. I find this makes the octo less pleasant to breathe, so I set both to the same cracking pressure and just deal with it when it does happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom