Exhaust Tees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Earlier this year, I bought my youngest son a new Calypso to do his Open Water training with. His first time in the pool with it, he complained about the plastic second stage and had me take one of my old USD metal seconds and put it on the Calpypso first. His complaint was in two areas: the plastic second gave him dry mouth and the exhaust tee was too narrow, causing his exhaust bubbles to pass directly in front of his mask. That got me to thinking and I've been looking at modern regulators, from various manufacturers, to look at their exhaust tees. It seems that modern regs are plagued by narrow exhaust tees. What gives? Why design a reg without an adequate exhaust tee?

Here Here,
after getting back in the game and buying a new Plastic thing I have the same thoughts.... I am trying to figure out what it will take to service my old sp 108 109 set up. I can't wait to dive it again.

some 'modern' regs (like my Apeks XTX 200s and my Atomics) can be purchased with 'extended' exhaust-Ts.

The expensive Apeks XTX 200 comes with both short and long exhaust tees in a box. While the chepaer models have ONLY one choice.

Work Of Breathing is probably different with a longer exhaust

I purchased the long exhaust kit for my scubapro (old kit, discontinued) but have not mounted it ... in my case, if your trimmed out horizontal, there is not as much/any need for it

The expensive Apeks XTX 200 comes with both short and long exhaust tees in a box. While the chepaer models have ONLY one choice.

All my XTX50's to date, have arrived with both long & short exhaust "T" in the box.

I agree, most BV's have very short exhaust valves, if any. I fitted aftermarket T's to my S600, works great. As mentioned the XTX200 has option for longer T's.

DSCN2207.jpg

I agree, most BV's have very short exhaust valves, if any. I fitted aftermarket T's to my S600, works great. As mentioned the XTX200 has option for longer T's.

View attachment 103305

All XTX 2nd stages have the option of longer exhaust T's. The 50/100/200 arrive with both long & short T's.

A low profile mask with the lens close to your face also contribute to the bubbles flowing up the front of the mask. With a high volume mask the bubbles will flow around the outer edge of the mask.

Body position also play a part in bubble interference. Bubbles like the straightest path to the surface, if that happens to be straight up in your face, they will take it your comfort be damned. :D

My USD Micra's have basically no Tee at all. I never notice bubbles interfering nor do they show in photos I take.

Once he moves out of the training portion and moves to the horizontal instead of the vertical, I tend to believe the bubble issue will disappear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom