Why adjustment knobs might matter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

order some of that IItalian CFG Grease Transparent AL Silicone. Turns out, that them folks from Italy not only make world-class scuba equipment,
Is this type of silicone ok with Nitrox and higher concentrations of O2? I thought you wanted "Christo lube" type of lubricant?
It is OK only up to 40% oxygen. So not high O2 for deco tanks...
And it is silicon grease, with all its benefits and drawbacks (good for EPDM or Viton O-rings, not good for silicon O-rings).
I use mostly for filling the cavity of piston first stages (SPEC in terms of Scubapro regs), where it s not in contact with high pressure gas.
Gotcha....back in the day we used vodka in the condom caps for the Poseidon first stages to help prevent freezing

back in the day we used vodka in the condom caps for the Poseidon first stages to help prevent freezing
How much of it did you really use for the regulator and how much did you drink???????????????????

How much of it did you really use for the regulator and how much did you drink???????????????????
Well the cap barely took a shot worth. LOL
SO what was left over after the dive was put to good use!!

Both of you, the regulator and you, stayed warm I bet :)

We also used those Poseidon rubber antifreeze caps for years, filled with either rotgut vodka, from a local bodega; or an old friend would often carry bottles of 80 proof Westerwälder Aquavit that his sister, who lived in Germany, would give him around the holidays.

Those caps also made for some unbreakable shot glasses, (for safety's sake, around a pool), for after-dive use — or so I’ve heard. It was a bit sad, though, when the Swedes later went the cheap-o route and to tiny cable ties to hold the damn things on, since those simple metal latches (seen below, right) did a great job and were very cleverly designed.

Poseidon had also marketed a steroidal, metal multi-piece version of the antifreeze cap (for the 2940s through the 2960s models) that was a bit of a production to use, since it wholly replaced the top portion of the first stages, down to the diaphragm. After springs were once again installed within the new piece, and IP reset, It was then filled with a far less aromatic 1:1 combination of ethyl alcohol and glycerin, topped with an odd silicone membrane to contain it and transmit pressure.

I still favor those rubber versions for my ponies, in the Winter, more from force of habit, than anything else -- also to keep the ambient chambers clean in nasty water; but the advent of the Xstream, now twenty years ago, has all but eliminated any need for antifreeze protection — quite a feat . . .

Attachments

• 676BB3D0-6B81-4C2E-9BD2-918EFEC53FB4.jpeg
    676BB3D0-6B81-4C2E-9BD2-918EFEC53FB4.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 60
It is OK only up to 40% oxygen. So not high O2 for deco tanks...
And it is silicon grease, with all its benefits and drawbacks (good for EPDM or Viton O-rings, not good for silicon O-rings).
I use mostly for filling the cavity of piston first stages (SPEC in terms of Scubapro regs), where it s not in contact with high pressure gas.
I have to agree that CFG Silicone Grease is a fine product -- holds up over time -- and I have regularly used it within that 40% O2 range for gear, for some time; and, at tubes of 125 ml, it is far more economical than those some scuba manufacturers have issued, that are about the size of travel toothpaste, and at a premium price . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom