Why adjustment knobs might matter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a novice diver and just recently back in the hobby, I enjoy the in-depth discussion of all gear especially new issues of mastering easy breathing from your reg. I kept up on this topic until we hit that oil slick, then you lost me. But I think I got the gist of it, ah yes, it's clear as mud!

I never dived my Apeks regs "hot". Always "detuned" it a bit after servicing it by myself.
The adjusting screw is useful but never need to use it.

I use the adjusting screw, it can be a handy tool on a regulator, just learn how to use it, it is not a gimmick .
It has been around a long time.
The adjusting screw is useful

superlube for packing SPEC boots. otherwise tribolube or krytox.

silicone oils/greases are an issue with silicone orings (swelling) but most have switched to viton these days with a few epdm holdouts.

Feel free to ask any questions for us to clarify, and so we stay on topic!
Well, thank you Geo7 for you reaching out to help this ole Miss boy learn a thang or two on this subject. This topic sounds very technical and I have to admit I don't know enough about this topic to figure out what questions to ask. I think I will keep treading water until I have the opportunity to sit through rsingler NapaScuba Regulator Tech Seminar this spring. However, I did take the young fella from Italy suggestion and order some of that IItalian CFG Grease Transparent AL Silicone. Turns out, that them folks from Italy not only make world-class scuba equipment, Ferrari's, Beretta's, and Prosciutto they also make some pretty good silicone! Buona serata!

order some of that IItalian CFG Grease Transparent AL Silicone. Turns out, that them folks from Italy not only make world-class scuba equipment,
Is this type of silicone ok with Nitrox and higher concentrations of O2? I thought you wanted Christo lube type of lubricant?

THE SCIENCE OF SCUBA O-RINGS!​

Scuba Gaskets O-Rings are Specifically Manufactured for Scuba Diving Applications. The biggest Scuba Diving O-ring product range Globally!​

VITON ® Green O-Rings for PURE O₂ Gas

VITON ® Green O-rings for PURE O₂ Gas​

This FPM / FKM fluoro rubber material was specially developed for pure oxygen applications that is carbon-free. In two different sh(75-90) this product range covers all low and high-pressure PURE oxygen applications of the scuba diving industry. Not all Viton are made equal!

EPDM 70Sh O Rings for Scuba Diving Applications

EPDM O-rings​

EPDM has excellent resistance to heat, water and steam, alkali, mild acidic and oxygenated solvents, ozone, and sunlight (UV). EPDM compounds are not recommended for gasoline, petroleum oil and grease, and hydrocarbon environments.

NBR Scuba Orings sh70

NBR - Nitrile O-rings​

Nitrile /NBR is the most widely used elastomer in the seal industry today due to its excellent resistance to petroleum products, and temperature range -35°C to +120°C (-30°F to +250°F).
Not suitable for ozone, sunlight, or weather elements. Stored away from electric motors or ozone-generating equipment.
Sh90 is recommended for High-Pressure applications >100 bar, while Standard Grade sh70 <100bar..

Common Black Viton® O-Rings for Nitrox

Black Viton® O-rings for Nitrox​

FKM elastomers have grown to major importance in the sealing industry. Due to its wide range of chemical compatibility, temperature range, low compression set, and excellent aging characteristics, FKM rubber is the most significant single elastomer developed in recent history. FKM elastomers are highly fluorinated polymer used in applications to resist harsh chemical and ozone attack sh(75-90) this product range covers all low and high-pressure application of the scuba diving industry.

Polyurethane O-Rings

Polyurethane O-rings​

Polyurethane rubber is a thermoplastic elastomer formed by reacting a polyol with a diisocyanate or a polymeric isocyanate in the presence of suitable catalysts and additives. Polyurethane rubber is widely used due to its high strength, and excellent tear and abrasion resistance. Polyurethane also provides excellent permeation resistance and is oxygen /ozone compatible.

Well, thank you Geo7 for you reaching out to help this ole Miss boy learn a thang or two on this subject. This topic sounds very technical and I have to admit I don't know enough about this topic to figure out what questions to ask. I think I will keep treading water until I have the opportunity to sit through rsingler NapaScuba Regulator Tech Seminar this spring. However, I did take the young fella from Italy suggestion and order some of that IItalian CFG Grease Transparent AL Silicone. Turns out, that them folks from Italy not only make world-class scuba equipment, Ferrari's, Beretta's, and Prosciutto they also make some pretty good silicone! Buona serata!
Oops, in case I misunderstood the previous comment before this post, then apologies... I sincerely thought someone had questions on the adjusters, joke is on me... :)

Is this type of silicone ok with Nitrox and higher concentrations of O2? I thought you wanted Christo lube type of lubricant?
It is OK only up to 40% oxygen. So not high O2 for deco tanks...
And it is silicon grease, with all its benefits and drawbacks (good for EPDM or Viton O-rings, not good for silicon O-rings).
I use mostly for filling the cavity of piston first stages (SPEC in terms of Scubapro regs), where it s not in contact with high pressure gas.

Back
Top Bottom