Why adjustment knobs might matter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

~snip~
But I took notice of @lexvil's point of making sure the poppet o-rings are well lubricated so it can stay reactive. For everything else I use Tribolube 71 which is for static and dynamic o-rings. Molykote is stickier and might not allow the poppet to react as qickly. Maybe someone knows if that makes a difference?
While I like and use Molykote in several areas on a reg rebuild (it really is waterproof and tenacious, works well on threads to prevent galling or saltwater ingress degradation) I have found it much too sticky for some uses.
For example, on the Atomic seat saver assembly it will cause the wave washer to delay compression and air will 'woosh' past the LP seat for a second or so when first pressurising the reg. Tribolube 71 is better there and seems to be much more stable over time than Christolube, which is often found degraded into a thin chalky atomised layer inside a long-stored reg.
Another favourite lighter PTFE-modified silicone grease is SuperLube:

And to stay on topic: What about corrosion of adjuster knobs in the barrel? Sand and salt getting into the threads can foul them (some reg models expose them more than others). Is it bad enough for some to avoid adjusters? Has anyone found an amazing trick to extend service interval?
My oldest SP 109 has 48 years.
As it was mostly used as a second, it was dragged everywhere in sand, mud, over rocks, etc.
The rubber parts have all needed replacement at least twice.
And the chrome is really in bad shape.
Despite this, the knob rotates easily as when it was new.
So the damage of the screw is not a problem.

No seriously I've got em all Krytox this tox that tox done the between the thumb and forefinger test pah!

Now yelling from the highest tower in the land I APPLY 111 ON ALL THREADS OUTSIDE SEALING RINGS

especially on the threads of 109 knobs that's where 111 it's thick it doesn't run works best I apply a kilo

ON THE SEALING O RINGS GOES THE LIGHT COAT OF THE WHITE FANCY NASA STUFF FOR ASSEMBLY

011.JPG

as an example that I had prepared earlier if you want to do some enlarging
These threads are chokkas with 111, the rings have Krytox, you can just see
especially if you want to have your isolation manifold moveable for bumps

so if you really think about it the exposed orings on open piston 1st stages lose their lube pretty quick

These magical O rings rely on their own built in lube with the assistance of the water you are diving in
you lube them so they dont twist out on you during assembly personally I put the things in my mouth
Yuck!

If you're concerned about mud, bog and sand and grit clogging up your regs don't soak your regs in it

Here it is

095.JPG

Men having finished hunting and gathering for their families are accosted by tourists and show their catch

096.JPG

Having unburdened themselves of the masses the men retire to their trusty steed to divvy up the spoils

101.JPG

to unburden themselves of their gear, but wait why the distance, are these men domesticating

102.JPG

goal we're on a winner here, an undressing mat fins on roof fins in dirt catch in dirt as he makes his way

103.JPG

but wait the outstretched mat becons but he's not interested he's his own man he's turned around

104.JPG

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ own goal and the gear is in the dirt

My MK5 first stages are saturated of silicon grease, so the piston O-rings stay lubricated for years.
Yes, some grease is extruded through the tiny holes of the SPEC body, but still, when I service them, I find a lot of grease still there.
Same for the knob on second stage: I saturate the threads with silicon grease, which keeps them lubricated for years.

A little off topic, what lube do you use guys? [SCUBA related, not trying to be funny now].
I only use Molykote or Krytox.
Krytox is what we used for years, and I still use it, found this tube in my tool box dated 1985.
IMG_20230123_075840_DRO.jpg

But I took notice of @lexvil's point of making sure the poppet o-rings are well lubricated so it can stay reactive. For everything else I use Tribolube 71 which is for static and dynamic o-rings. Molykote is stickier and might not allow the poppet to react as qickly. Maybe someone knows if that makes a difference?

Xanadu -- wow, a vehicle on the beach!

Try that most anywhere in California, and you'll wind up being somebody's bitch on cellblock five . . .

Try that most anywhere in California, and you'll wind up being somebody's bitch on cellblock five . . .
Come up to Washington. We can even land airplanes on a state beach (though I've only done that myself on the outer coast of Vancouver Island):

Back to following the on-topic discussion. :)

They are a problem in my area, they do pay for a permit $$$ to drive on the beach, we call them beach cockroaches.
Not a problem in most of Australia with 12000 miles of coast line, but in [now] crowded SE Qld it is now a problem.
Happy is luck he moved away from the crowd, sold my 4X4 and don't go near a beach now.
Sorry, off topic again.

Yep I sure fluked it here, ocean out the front, caves out the back

077.JPG

No more badge crap, if they ain't payin I ain't sayin

053.JPG

Ha ah ah ah ha ha ha ha ha and when all those 30KPH signs started popping up at Woorim that was it
with police patrols ha ha ha ha ha ha ha during the week ah ha ha ha ha ha perv patrols ha habnhyana

Fluked my arse more like a 3-5-10-20 year plan come to fruition, ha ha and it's not head in arse Victoria

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom