Equipment Question (noobie)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out deepstop.de - der online shop für ambitionierte taucher and Online dive shop, buy online diving, snorkeling & swimming equipment and Dive Gear Express | Equipment for Experienced Divers to compare prices.

Suunto Vyper is a good basic dive computer with a) support for enriched air and b) a replaceable screen protector (useful, cheap to replace). Vyper is also not too expensive either. More expensive computer may have air consumption monitoring (wireless transmitters) or big bright and expensive displays, or some other fun features. The Suunto wrist compass is also good.

Check out deepstop.de - der online shop für ambitionierte taucher and Online dive shop, buy online diving, snorkeling & swimming equipment and Dive Gear Express | Equipment for Experienced Divers to compare prices.

Suunto Vyper is a good basic dive computer with a) support for enriched air and b) a replaceable screen protector (useful, cheap to replace). Vyper is also not too expensive either. More expensive computer may have air consumption monitoring (wireless transmitters) or big bright and expensive displays, or some other fun features. The Suunto wrist compass is also good.

deepstop.de is a great place to compare prices as they usually have pretty competative deals. However, keep in mind that Deepstop is here in Germany, and those same pricepoints may not always be available back in the states. For instance, I have found that it is quite often less expensive to order from the states and pay the shipping than to purchase gear here in Germany. However, with the VAT exclusion, sometimes it is worthwhile to drive the hour to Schwetzingen and pick my stuff up at Deepstop.

As for the rest of your gear, there are so many factors to consider. Try to make a list of your priorities in gear. Is safety at the top? What about cost? Durability? Ease of use? Maintenece criteria? Compatibility? What kind of dives do you plan to be stabbing your fish in? Warm water, cold water, deep water, salt water, maybe you'll be spear fishing in space???

For the most part, good dependable, reasonably affordable gear should be functional in all of the above (except space, don't go there, it's dangerous), it'll just depend on the amount of spending you want to do for it.

+1 on the suunto products, I have a cobra3 and love it.

Now i see many of you guys, i fact most of you guys that have backup gear... some have 4 regs, bunch of tanks, etc etc...

If you rushed at the beginning and bought everything and it was not 100% what you wanted, couldn't you still use it as a backup? or wouldnt that be the smart way of going at it?

Last edited:
Now i see many of you guys, i fact most of you guys that have backup gear... some have 4 regs, bunch of tanks, etc etc...

If you rushed at the beginning and bought everything and it was not 100% what you wanted, couldn't you still use it as a backup? or wouldnt that be the smart way of going at it?
Yeah you could use first purchase stuff as a backup unless you decide to change systems entirely.
For example:
Many new divers get sold an Air2 backup reg/LP inflator combo. While this may seem like a great idea at the time (you get rid of one hose), and you might see the DM's and other advanced divers from the shop using them. But when you start to examine the function, it really isn't. In the eyes of many experienced divers it's not the most ideal setup. Many people that originally were set up with Air2's have gone back to a good old octopuss. I know, I was one of them. Just remember, the shops staff is going to be using what the shop want's to sell you. You be renting gear that the shop want's to sell you, this is how it works. That's how I bought my first gear - it was all the stuff I was trained in. There was no internet dive sites or online stores for me to know any different.

My original gear:
Scubapro MK 20/G200B reg set with Air2 and a Suunto console with SPG, depth gauge, and compass (all in one big clunky thing). We used tables.
A Seaquest Black Diamond BC (because it was the biggest badest thing they had).
Mares quattro fins
A freediving mask
Scubapro shotgun II snorkel (actually a very nice snorkel)
Wetsuit with hooded vest
The wetsuits have been changed more times than I can remember.

The only thing I still use from that original purchase is the Scubapro G200B 2nd stage, that's it.

I don't use the MK20 anymore because parts are an absolute ripoff with SP and I have other regs I use that I like better.
The G200B though is a pretty darn nice breathing reg. I use it for some diving but not all.

The fins went, I use Scubapro Jet fins now, which ironically my original LDS had but steered me away from because the Mares Quattros were more money and they claimed "more advanced".
The BC went next because it was a huge POS I found out. Too big and bulky for regular recreational diving and not suitable for tech diving. That got replaced with a BP/W as soon as I learned about them.
I bought a bunch of aluminum tanks (4 or 5) and I don't own one now. I went to steel.
I've been given many older steel 72's dating from 1959 through the 80's.
People think they are obsolete but I love them, especially for beach diving.
I've never had one fail hydro.
I also bought a few larger new HP steel tanks for boat diving.

Over the years people have given me lot's of gear when they find out I'm a diver. Some of the gear is really cool old stuff. Much of it I restore, dive it a few times then flip it. I keep the stuff I really like. That's all mostly reg sets.
One of my favorites is an old Scubapro MK5/109 BA (all metal second stages) probably from the late 70's or early 80's that I traded a fellow SB member for a plate. That's still one of the best regs ever made and the best of old Scubapro.
I wouldn't buy a new Scubapro reg set now, too overpriced and I think SP has stagnated since the two lead designers left to start Atomic. If you want that style of reg I think Atomic is better. The regs are really expensive but extremely high quality, the recommended service intervals are longer, and parts are cheaper.
Some companies have a free parts for life program where you are required to take the reg in for service every year on or before the year mark and you get free parts but pay for the service. This to me is a joke and a money making scam. That's like taking your car in for a full tune up every 5K miles when all it needs is a simple oil change.
Any quality reg that has been treated well and rinsed correctly doesn't need to go in for an overhaul once a year, that's rediculous.

I met an old guy on a lobster boat down in Southern California once and we got to talking about gear.
He was using all of his original gear from way back. One reg set, one jacket BC, same fins, same mask, everything from the same original purchase, except for wetsuits but even with those he would absolutely THRASH them to ribbons before he'd replace them.
He proclaimed himself "The cheapest old dive geezer on earth!" and was proud of the fact that he decided to pursue diving on the cheap and just dove with what he had, never upgraded. He did all the dives that everybody else did just as good and got just as many bugs. His gear reflected the abuse too but it kept on ticking.

Diving is an ongoing journey of trial and error.
Everybody does things slightly different and will recommend different things. The thing is, everybody is right (to some degree). There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
As you grow you might decide to change directions. There is no way to know this right now, you have to start diving to find out.
All I can say is just watch your back with the LDS's. They are profit driven, every last one of them.
The biggest thing I don't want to see happen is to see you get fleeced.

Last edited:
I dealt with EZ Scuba for years and had a good relation with the owner Eric. They will match internet prices if you ask, and if you can, deal with Eric and bring CASH, it helps. He has done plenty of spearfishing and is a technical diver too. I don't know any of the other people working there now. I used to be in that area a lot, but don't get around there much anymore. Another shop I like that is heavy into spearfishing is Diver City in Lutz, it's actually closer to Land O Lakes. I like them a lot! They also sell Zeagle with others. I have a Ranger and Zeagle 50D reg and it's good stuff, but I was looking at BP/W when I bought it and still kind of think maybe I should have went that way, so don't dismiss it without serious consideration. The HOG regs are a bargain, and on a $1500 budget, you should consider them. Don't spend huge money on a computer, but get one that can later be used as a backup if you upgrade, $300 or less should do you. Get a regular brass & glass SPG.

Mike

why start with something if you know your goals are further along? Get what you need now, and then you only have to buy it once.

Are you willing to subsidize those dreams for the OP? :D

If I had to completely start over with nothing here's what I would get, knowing what I know now.
This would be all new gear BTW.

Wetsuit - Custom made two piece 9 or 10 mil with attached hood (based on where I live and dive)
Booties and gloves from LDS - anything will work as long as their thick enough.
Oceanic Shadow frameless mask or Atomic frameless mask.
A straight J type snorkel used by freedivers - all you need.
A Hog reg set with a plain glass and brass SPG. I run 2 - 40" hoses, one second stage bungeed under my chin and the other as my primary. I like both hoses to run under my right arm. The reason for Hog is because they are decent regs at a great value. I can also buy my own service kits which is huge.
A couple of steel 100's - 3442 E7 series tanks and maybe a 120 E7 for charter boat diving.
A suunto wrist compass.
A simple wrist computer that is nitrox compatible and has guage mode plus a user servicable battery.
Scubapro Jet fins with spring straps.
Then for BC it would be a Back Plate and Wing. I make my own plates so I would have to get an Oxycheq Mach V wing and a harness kit and a couple of cam bands.
Simple weight belt - the rubber freediver style.

Then spear guns, knives, game/goody bags, fish stringers, etc. on top of this but these are minor.

I think new all this would probably run $2500 to $3000 but nothing would have to be upgraded later.

Did I forget anything?

Eric his budget is 1500, not including mask fins and snorkel... and you can still get great gear for 1500 bucks.
I put together a basic list of BC, Computer and regs for 1000 on DGX
Regs- HOG D1, Classic 2nds
BC- DGX SS BP, HOG 32LB singles wing, Highland bands, Basic Harness
Computer- Hollis DG03 with new firmware.
That leaves 500 left over for exposure, reels, SMBs, ect ect.

Eric his budget is 1500, not including mask fins and snorkel... and you can still get great gear for 1500 bucks.
I put together a basic list of BC, Computer and regs for 1000 on DGX
Regs- HOG D1, Classic 2nds
BC- DGX SS BP, HOG 32LB singles wing, Highland bands, Basic Harness
Computer- Hollis DG03 with new firmware.
That leaves 500 left over for exposure, reels, SMBs, ect ect.
Yeah I know his budget is $1500 which could be doable with the gear I listed if he was willing to look around for used stuff.
I was quoting new and stuff I would get if I had to do it over. The reason I didn't quote used is because there are too many price variables and availability issues.
The tanks and wetsuit in my case is what jumps it up, but the rest of the stuff is in line.

I am also quoting new stuff, stuff that I would dive any day. I would also get the setup I suggested if I could do it over again. I wound up overpaying on a Hollis BP/W system, HOG gear is very good quality at a great price.

Back
Top Bottom