Equipment Question (noobie)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is very true. There is a boatload of great used gear out there for pennies on the dollar. The deal is you have to know what you're looking at.

this is one reason i'm suggesting to him to wait to buy as much as possible so he'll know more what to look for between training & asking questions on here...
make sure you love it before sinking the cash into it... and will dive regularly, otherwise it's not cost effective to buy vs rent.

The other part of the buying used equation is that it isn't always a great deal for people who don't work on their own stuff. I like to service my own gear so for me getting used stuff that I know what the make and model is and if I can get parts for it readily and economically could be a great deal. On the other hand, somebody that doesn't know what to look for and buys something used could be in for a big surprise when they take it in to get it serviced.

You do know that that regulator is not sealed for cold water use right?

I did see this, but cold water is less than 30 right?? im not sure but here in tampa,FL i doubt it will get colder than that.. not sure

Gee, 53 degrees here in Monterey is plenty cold enough!

<< genuine antique toaster from the civil war with a new cord and plug? Only $25.00!>> It's $50 here in CA, but if you are the seller, everybody only offers 25 cents.

Cold water for regulator purposes is deemed 50F by testing agencies. The reason because is when air is decompressed out of your cylinder it is very cold. Under normal use in 40-50F this wont be a problem but if you are breathing at a rapid rate (problem happens) or have a free flow it becomes even colder, causing water inside the regulator to also become possibly frozen, It may not be a problem for you I just don't know what type of diving you plan on doing as you don't have a location on your profile.

Cold water for regulator purposes is deemed 50F by testing agencies. The reason because is when air is decompressed out of your cylinder it is very cold. Under normal use in 40-50F this wont be a problem but if you are breathing at a rapid rate (problem happens) or have a free flow it becomes even colder, causing water inside the regulator to also become possibly frozen, It may not be a problem for you I just don't know what type of diving you plan on doing as you don't have a location on your profile.

Tampa, FL, i dont know how cold the water gets down here

---------- Post added September 28th, 2013 at 03:33 PM ----------

Whats you guys opinion on the hollis HTS2?

Last edited:
the Hollis HTS2 is way overpriced. Tt is a soft backplate system, you still need a wing. If you want that kind of breakaway harness system just go with a "deluxe" style harness on a BP/W. Still would recommend the basic one piece simple harness.

The water doesn't get nearly that cold down there.

On the topic of the hts2, I'll agree with GCullen. Expensive and not worth it. All you need or will want is a single piece of webbing and some d rings. All the other stuff is just a hassle you don't need

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I would consider renting the scuba gear until you know enough of what you like. Weights and wetsuits have everything to do with where you'll be diving. BC's have to function well and be comfortable to you. I did a lot of spearfishing with scuba and there is a lot to consider about safety. How do you maintain your buddy system without getting shot from your buddies errant spear release? If you decide to go alone there's a lot to be considered there as well. Keep going for it, just learn as much about the safety aspects as you go. Adventure-Ocean

A few things, one I don't think the water temp in Tampa is goes into the 50s, at least not where you are going to be diving. If you can wait until Black Friday there will be some great deals on gear. If you can't wait then check out Diver's Supply, they keep sending me emails of the Tampa liquidation sale. Maybe there are some deals. Alternatively Dive Gear Express has some great deals as does Cave Adventurers. For $1,500 you should be able to get good gear that you will not need to replace, until you want a rebreather. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom