Equipment Question (noobie)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So i got a hollis DG02 computer, the flat head7 regulator with octo, also got my fins, snorkel, weight and mask... Ill go to the shop today and see what i can find as a backplate and wing... So i dont want a hard backplate instead of a soft one?

And how much im looking to spend?

Also the wet suit, how tick should i get it? 3mm 5mm? Anything i should worry on this?

If they are a diverite dealer...
Diverite Stainless Steel Backplate
Voyager Wing
Basic harness

Should cost around 450-500 before tax.

You want a stainless steel backplate.

On the wetsuit, that depends on how cold the water is where you are diving. I would say go with a 5mil or a 3 mil and a skin

Tampa, FL, i dont know how cold the water gets down here

Gulf water off of Tampa will generally range from 60-90 degs F. You would want a 5mm minimum in the winter and a 3mm spring and Fall. Summer I dive in a swimsuit and t-shirt.

Mike

Whats you guys opinion on the Dive rite transpac

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2013 at 01:20 PM ----------

Voyager Wing
Basic harness

On the wetsuit, that depends on how cold the water is where you are diving. I would say go with a 5mil or a 3 mil and a skin

Is there a difference between the steel plate compared with the Dive rite transpac?

Voyager Wing
Basic harness

Why would he want a Voyager wing?. BTW, these items should only cost a bit over $300. Special Purchase, Clearance, Closeout, and Discontinued Merchandise - Dive Gear Express

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2013 at 10:39 AM ----------

Whats you guys opinion on the Dive rite transpac

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2013 at 01:20 PM ----------

Is there a difference between the steel plate compared with the Dive rite transpac?

The Transpac is a combination soft backplate and harness that retails for over $300. You need to add a wing to it and it will not reduce any weight you need to carry. I would not recommend it.

If a simple harness scares you then you can use a Dive Rite deluxe harness with a metal plate which costs $40 or so. If you want to go all out then you could purchase a transplate harness for about $120. The backplate with a simple harness looks uncomfortable but it is not.

Miguel go with a simple harness and plate. Stay away from the soft backpacks. The simple harness is comfortable, adjustable and all you need. If you really think you need all the extra stuff (you don't) go with the deluxe harness.

AMS why am I saying voyager wing? 35lbs of lift. Usable in freshwater and saltwater, cold and warm water. It has the right amount of lift, I would say a HOG32 would also be good for his price range. here's a question to you, why would he not want a voyager wing?

I hardly notice my plate, dive shops try to sell you the most expensive thing they can (soft backpacks) and try to say plates are uncomfortable when in reality they are very comfortable in the water. They also allow you to take more lead off of your weightbelt. a stainless steel backplate is 5-6lbs negative, a soft plate may be as much as 3lbs positive. Metal plates also make the tanks feel more secure on your back.

here's a question to you, why would he not want a voyager wing?

First, because diving in Tampa is warm water and 35 lbs is overkill. Second, the Voyager wing is 19" wide as opposed to 13.5" of an Oxycheq and around 15" for a DSS, which would give more tank wrap (tacoing) making the wing harder to vent. I think the Dive Rite travel wing would be a better match to his diving. If he wants a 35 lb wing he should check out Golem Gear which is located outside of Tampa in Brooksville.

What if he travels somewhere cold? also 25 may not be enough for some applications. tacoing on dive rite wings has never been a big deal with the way they are constructed. In freshwater the wings have less lift and tanks are more negative. I would go with 35 but it's a matter of opinion and you have your viewpoint and I have mine.

Back
Top Bottom