Equipment Question (noobie)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt illl be going anywhere cold anytime soon, but I do want to do some spearfishing, not sure if it makes a big difference on the wing

There is a guy on the board from West Palm Beach called Dan Volker. He was a big spero and could probably give you some recommendations. But beware he has a fetish for freediver fins. I wouldn't think spearfishing would impact the lift requirements by very much. If you think you will be spearing near wrecks and other sharp objects you may want a wing with armored fabric like the Oxycheq extreme and the Dive Rite, XT.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2013 at 08:28 PM ----------

What if he travels somewhere cold? also 25 may not be enough for some applications. tacoing on dive rite wings has never been a big deal with the way they are constructed. In freshwater the wings have less lift and tanks are more negative. I would go with 35 but it's a matter of opinion and you have your viewpoint and I have mine.

I live in Florida have actually dove the west coast so I am somewhat familiar with the conditions. For ocean diving in South Florida a 25 lb wing will work fine with 5 mil suit and a steel tank which is probably the max tank and exposure he will see. The norm is usually a 3 mil and an AL 80. If he feels a bit heavy in freshwater he can always take off weight or use an Al plate but I doubt it will come to that. I do not see the point of him purchasing a sub-optimal wing on the off chance he may want to do cold water diving.

Dive Rite wings did have a problem with tacoing in the past, that is why they were redesigned a few years back. The Voyager wing seems wide as wings go, especially compared to an Oxycheq or a DSS. I can see where this width would make the wing taco and difficult to vent, especially because it will not be inflated anywhere near capacity except on the surface. If the OP wants a bigger wing DSS, OXycheq, and Halcyons are good bets. I have not personally seen the Hog or Zeagle 30 lbs so I don't know if they will be better.

I am not one to advocate cutting it close on buoyancy but I really think 35 lbs is overkill. As you say it is a matter of opinion so maybe it would be more beneficial for the OP to post in the BC forum and solicit other opinions and develop a consensus.

Last edited:
for his budget the best wing would be a HOG 32. They are shaped similar to a Halcyon 30. His budget is no where near Halcyon or DSS prices.

for his budget the best wing would be a HOG 32. They are shaped similar to a Halcyon 30. His budget is no where near Halcyon or DSS prices.

I agree that HOG is one of the best wing values going. DRIS would be another. I have seen complete HOG setups for under $300 when on sale. However, when you start adding up prices a complete HOG 32 setup with wing, steel plate, plain harness and straps will be in the $350 range. The DSS is only about $100 more, which is not that unreasonable. I agree totally the Halcyon is over priced but it is great gear.

How much weight do you use when diving and at what level of exposure protections?

13/15 weights 5mm wet

If you take 13/15 lbs with a conventional BC, my recommendation would be to purchase a steel backplate. With a 5 mil suit you should be fine in either salt or fresh water. You may be a pound or two heavy in freshwater with a 3 mil suit or in salt water with a skin. This is assuming you will be diving the same type of tank as before.

As for wing size a 25 to 30 lb wing should do. As for the harness I would recommend either a 1 piece or something like a Dive Rite Deluxe QR ($40 at DGE and CA). If you hate the deluxe harness you could always buy new webbing ($15) and reuse the hardware from the deluxe harness. So no big loss.

I do NOT recommend a soft pack like the Transpac, IQ Pac, or the Hollis HTS 2. I also do not recommend expensive harnesses like the Transplate, Hollis Elite and the like.

I also do NOT recommend you buy anything before discussing the deal online (you will probably get more input if you post in the BC forum).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom