Equipment Question (noobie)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuperMiguel

Contributor
Reaction score
So i created this thread yesterday on how i should get started: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ring-diving/466280-thinking-about-diving.html

Like i mentioned there i will probably start slow, but my end goal will be to spearfish, i'll be doing my training this weekend and im required to buy some stuff:

mask, fins, snorkel, boots, no-fog, weight and belt and compass, if i buy them here: Shop EZ Scuba for Scuba Diving & Snorkeling Equipment, Buy scuba diving equipment, scuba gear, dive gear and snorkeling equipment with scuba resources at ShopEZScuba.com! i get $50 discount on my open water course and a 10% discount on the price... But i want to gear that i dont have to discard because it is no good for spearfishing...

Also since im opening a new thread i guess i would like to hear opinions on what you guys recommend as far as BCD, regs and computers.

I do know that i should do it first before buying the gear, and im i will only buy the required stuff so i can get the cert and if i love it ill get the more expensive stuff, but i want to be ready, so i dont make stupid decisions.

Edit ill start making a list based on my research and you guys opinion:

BCD: Zeagle Ranger
Computer: Zeagle N2iTiON 3
Regulator: Zeagle Flathead 7
Mask:
Fins:
Wetsuit:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little bit curious...
Why are you required to buy a belt, weights and compass for your Basic Open Water course?

Weights I understand, but why a belt and compass? Slow down a bit and make informed decisions. Maybe try a bunch of brands and models before you actually buy stuff. Don't be fooled by some quick talking salesman/instructor.

Just a little bit curious...
Why are you required to buy a belt, weights and compass for your Basic Open Water course?

Thats what he posted on his site, but yes i keep reading that the belt and compass are worthless and i may get my self out of that, but i think he does require the weights

I would never go with a shop that requires you buy your own weights until you know just how much you will need.
A belt I could see before weights. Belts are cheap and can be used for any combination. Get a rubber free divers belt from someplace like Mako.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added September 25th, 2013 at 10:10 AM ----------

And if his rental.gear does not have a compass on it then buy one. Every diver should.have and know how to use a compass.

I would never go with a shop that requires you buy your own weights until you know just how much you will need.
A belt I could see before weights. Belts are cheap and can be used for any combination. Get a rubber free divers belt from someplace like Mako.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2013 at 10:10 AM ----------

And if his rental.gear does not have a compass on it then buy one. Every diver should.have and know how to use a compass.

Thanks i guess that kinda the point for this thread so i dont get screwed by the sales guy at the store, Like "oh you need need to get this computer that cost $800 if not you will die".

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, they're in Tampa. So I assume you are also. There's a lot of dive shops in Tampa. I might spend some time at several of them before being swayed by $50 plus 10% off. You might also ask around to find the shop in your area that specializes in spearfishing - often there's one or two that do - the owners may do that also and have more insight into what works/doesn't. It may be EZScuba - IDK...but given that their total inventory of spearo gear is 11 products...

Especially if you do plan to spearfish eventually as that's often deep diving with generally specialized equipment. I might ask some of the spearo's here - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-hunting/ or on Spearboard.com for suggestions about what you can buy/grow into. I have read somewhere that some successful spearo's use larger free-diving fins - IDK why. I expect it's for speed at depth.

The Ranger is weight integrated. So if you buy one you won't need a belt - or weights. Many charters provide tanks/weights as part of the price. Or can if asked. I bought weights when I first bought my BCD. They've been sitting in the closet for at least 25 years since then since it turns out I never local dive. Of course I might if I was in Tampa.

I might think there's more optimal Zeagle options for warm water spearing. The Ranger is often thought of as a cold water BC. Maybe the Stiletto might be a better option. Or the new Covert. For spearing I think you need to be as optimized as possible since you're chasing, not just looking at - fish. Which also brings into consideration backplate/wing options. Of which there are better options than Zeagle's.

Thanks for your help... i did read about the water temperature thing, but because i'll probably start diving over the winter time, not sure ifi should pick a cold water bc

It's really going to depend on how much neoprene you'll be wearing when it's cold. I don't know how much the water temp. changes in SoFl.

A Ranger works in colder water since divers in the northern states - or Canada frequently dive wet to maybe 50o. So they're wearing a full 7MM suit with possibly 5-MM jacket over it. It's a lot of neoprene to sink so you need both weight pocket capacity and wing lift to compensate. It's partly why Zeagle sells bladders starting at about 24# up to 85#. Some of those are for doubles also - dual steel tanks weight a lot.

In 70o water I might be in a 3-5 MM suit. But I don't get cold easily. My buddy dives his 3MM in the Caribbean in the summer - I'm in a swimsuit/t-shirt. Water temps typically in the mid-80's

I suspect that the optimal configuration for spearfishing will probably be a backplate and wing. They're more streamlined than any other configuration. Since most of the weight is carried in the plate/tank differential you don't need much in the way of a jacket or pockets.

Of course Zeagle being in Zephyr Hills (near Orlando) is pretty convenient also. We go by the Divers Direct store in FLL when we're in the area, they sell a lot of Zeagle gear. I own a Ranger LTD, it's a good BC. Just maybe more than you need if your focus is spearfishing. Mine is versatility and filming the pretty fish.

I'd really suggest you spend time on Spearboard.com before you get serious. There's a lot of gear that is functional in both disciplines. And some that isn't.

Thanks for your help... i did read about the water temperature thing, but because i'll probably start diving over the winter time, not sure ifi should pick a cold water bc

Before someone tells you different there's no such thing as a coldwater BC. Any BC will work in warm or cold water. What needs to be considered is how much lift it has vs the other gear you will be using and amount of weight you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom