Emergency training with Air II like second air source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overhead environment perhaps. I only occasionally go vertical underwater even when I'm ascending. If I do it, it's to follow the contours of what I'm looking at.

If you dive in an overhead environment then why don't you have pony bottles and long hose/short hose setup?

Of course rear dumps count, but if you HAVE to use them because your primary dump doesn't function in the usual manner, then that needs to be recognized and anticipated.

Besides, I never mentioned sharing air. It could just be a second stage failure.

The OP's question was whether he'd have to do anything different than ordinary to dump air during an ascent.

So, you have a seconc stage failure. Are you going to keep diving with just one 2nd stage now? Or are you going to terminate the dive and head to the surface?

I suppose one can get fancy and do all the horizontal ascension, but as far as I'm concerned, I've just had a major failure in my equipment and that I'm on the redundant second stage. Getting to the surface safely is my primary concern and not worrying about the appearance of how I get to the surface - that means get vertical and go.

While I'm not 100% familiar with the operation of this particular inflator, I was mostly commenting on the people that take it out of their mouths.

I do like how this particular device is illegal in Israel though.

In any event, I'm trying to remind people that you should always have a regulator in your mouth, especially when ascending(unless you're practiced in the art of buddy breathing). If you're taking this thing out of your mouth during a drill to vent it, perhaps you should rethink your equipment choice, or use the dump valves on your bcd.

An airsource is illegal in Israel? Really?

As far as venting the BC goes, I think that for that I would opt to remove the reg from my mouth temporarily while venting the BC.

I have serious reservations about that procedure. It seems to me that it would lead to breath holding during ascent.

I used an AIR II when I was diving in warm water. It makes more sense in that environment because buoyancy doesn't change much from bottom to top. There really wasn't much air to vent during ascent

I still have the AIR II on an old SeaQuest ADVi but I am not going to use it in cold water. Performing any type of rescue while trying to control my buoyancy with the AIR II and controlling the victim's with whatever they have seems like a recipe for disaster.

Someone will bring up the fact that you should just dump the victim's buoyancy right away. Well, that won't work for cold water wetsuit divers. At some considerable depth, the diver needs about 30# of lift just to stay neutral (depending on a lot of things). This implies that the rescuer also needs full lift from a 30# wing. In the end, the rescuer needs to control the buoyancy of both divers. I think the AIR II device complicates the process.

Years ago, in warm water, I liked my AIR II. Today, in cold water, I'm not a fan.

Richard

An airsource is illegal in Israel? Really?

Nope. Complete nonsense. Same as someone here who tried to tell me that hoseless AI computers were "illegal in the Red Sea." More nonsense.

In the age of instant Google searches I find it amazing that people say things that are SO easily refutable with a simple search.

-Charles

So you can hover horizontal breathing through the inline reg and release air by pushing the dump button on it? I'm impressed. How did they work the remote valve for it? Contained in the hose?

Now you're just being condescending. Let's go ahead and start the "Countdown to Elmer Fudd telling all us non-DIR divers that we're doing it wrong."

My BC has several dumps. I just use whatever one makes sense at the time. Does it really need to be any more complicated than that?

Now you're just being condescending. Let's go ahead and start the "Countdown to Elmer Fudd telling all us non-DIR divers that we're doing it wrong."

My BC has several dumps. I just use whatever one makes sense at the time. Does it really need to be any more complicated than that?

Yes it does. Though you have multiple dumps to use, the ONLY ONE that you can use is via the power inflator because that's how "real divers" do it and you and I don't know squat about nuthin'.

And that you must maintain horizontal trim AT ALL TIME because if you deviate from horizontal trim, both you and the distressed diver are gonna die!!!

I Someone will bring up the fact that you should just dump the victim's buoyancy right away. Well, that won't work for cold water wetsuit divers. At some considerable depth, the diver needs about 30# of lift just to stay neutral (depending on a lot of things). This implies that the rescuer also needs full lift from a 30# wing. In the end, the rescuer needs to control the buoyancy of both divers. I think the AIR II device complicates the process.

Years ago, in warm water, I liked my AIR II. Today, in cold water, I'm not a fan.

Richard

I don't get it?

You, the rescuer, breath through your Air2 and control your own BC. The OOA diver breaths through your 2nd stage and controls his or her own BC. What's the problem?

And if you need to control the buoyancy of both BCs, why can't you do it with the AIR2 in your mouth, you vent your BC one moment and vent the distressed diver's BC the next moment?

In the end, the rescuer needs to be fully comfortable with his or her own piece of equipment so that everything is automatic while he or she concentrates on the distressed diver.

If you don't think that you can do all that while using an inline octo, then you are right in choosing a separate octo. But if others can do all that while using an inline octo, then what's the problem?

When I was a student I used to add an octo in order to be able to practice the skills properly with a partner.

How to train for it in real life is simple, you just do what any jackass diver whos in over their head on a dive does when they panic or have an ooa, just swim up behind them and rip the reg out of their mouth, cause thats exaclty how a panicked diver is gonna let you know hes out of air, by ripping your reg right out from you. thats why I like the air2, If I get tossed aorund and have my reg and mask ripped off from a panicked diver with no air in my lungs, I dont wanna worry about doing a sweep or feeling around for my reg, I want air in my mouth immediately.

If you dive in an overhead environment then why don't you have pony bottles and long hose/short hose setup?

Pony bottles? In the overhead? :shakehead:

When I was a student I used to add an octo in order to be able to practice the skills properly with a partner.

How to train for it in real life is simple, you just do what any jackass diver whos in over their head on a dive does when they panic or have an ooa, just swim up behind them and rip the reg out of their mouth, cause thats exaclty how a panicked diver is gonna let you know hes out of air, by ripping your reg right out from you. thats why I like the air2, If I get tossed aorund and have my reg and mask ripped off from a panicked diver with no air in my lungs, I dont wanna worry about doing a sweep or feeling around for my reg, I want air in my mouth immediately.

You should try a long hose primary and bungeed secondary my friend, it's much easier to find than a dangling inflator/octo combo.

So you breath in, take it out to vent...do you have to rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time too? Doing this while trying to ascend in an emergency, possibly dealing with a freaked out diver who's all over the place or even an unconcious buddy that you have to get to the surface? I've had to get an unconcious buddy to the surface in training and it's hard enough with a seperate octo and inflator, I can't imagine it with this contraption. ****ty piece of gear in my opinion.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom