Emergency training with Air II like second air source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an older AIR2 style inflator and I usually take it out of my mouth. This is because it vents via the mouthpiece. I don't want a lung full of fungus.

As for the derogatory AIR2 comments, I'm an AIR 2 fan when it comes to rec.

@ 30 to 50ft in crystal blue water I dive a hose less AI comp and Air2, full foot fins, clear silicone mask, a shorty and I'm flying!!!

The 70 - 100 ft dry suit 2X12L, SS BP Rig, canister light, argon tank, in near freezing water of my daily diving is still fun diving but does not compare.

Match the gear to the dive. There is no 1 "right" rig.

I am in the same position. I plan to use the Air II in warm waters (holidays) only.

In cold water lakes use two independent regs (the Air II remains on my BC but not as secondary).

Did not know about this feature of Zeagle. Sounds great though. On then other hand the more you change things the greater risk for it to break....
Will be using an AIR II mounted on a Cressi S111 BC.

and certainly not as safe.

Please post the data that supports this statement.

it typically breathing heavier and wetter

Yea. Same as pretty much all octos. Besides, is there a diver out there that's gonna complain about your secondary breathing "heavier and wetter" when they're using it to continue LIVING?

-Charles

Did not know about this feature of Zeagle. Sounds great though. On then other hand the more you change things the greater risk for it to break....
Will be using an AIR II mounted on a Cressi S111 BC.

its not as complex as it sounds just a standard garden hose fitting. If it breaks its only 20 around 30 dollars to replace it. Check it out on Zeagle Systems, BCs, Regulators, and Scuba Accessories

Not be an ass but why make life more difficult utilizing that piece of equipment? It's no expensive than a conventional octo, nor less streamline and certainly not as safe. In addition, it typically breathing heavier and wetter. Other than all that it's perfect...:)

I was wondering who would be the first one to go completely off topic just to knock the air 2 and tell him using one is doing it wrong.

Anyway, I use my shoulder dump on the other side to vent air. I have the sequest airsource but they all work the same.

I am looking to hear how you teach emergency procedures to someone diving with one primary regulator and the secondary being an AIR II or equivalent.
Does this means that buoyancy needs to be controlled with one of the additional purge valve available or should the student take the AIR II out of his/her mouth and then purge some air from the BC and then replace reg in the mouth??

Thanks

The deflator/inflator button works just fine when the mouthpiece is in your mouth.

Taking the regulator out of your mouth while ascending seems like a fantastic way to forget to provide an exit path for increasing air pressure in your lungs in a real emergency and get some serious pneumothorax action going on.

But hey, I use the same gear cold to warm water and can comfortably do air sharing ascents while buddy breathing, and they share the same parts kits for my backup and primary. To each their own.

I have the Seaquest AirSource. They recommend using the dump valves on your BC (or a 1/8inch pull on the inflator hose also works fine.)

I like the alternate dump valves method myself.

Taking the regulator out of your mouth while ascending seems like a fantastic way to forget to provide an exit path for increasing air pressure in your lungs in a real emergency and get some serious pneumothorax action going on.

It is. So don't take it out of your mouth. Just press the button to release air out of the BC's bladder. It always amazes me how complicated people want to make this. Just press the button!

-Charles

While I'm not 100% familiar with the operation of this particular inflator, I was mostly commenting on the people that take it out of their mouths.

I do like how this particular device is illegal in Israel though.

In any event, I'm trying to remind people that you should always have a regulator in your mouth, especially when ascending(unless you're practiced in the art of buddy breathing). If you're taking this thing out of your mouth during a drill to vent it, perhaps you should rethink your equipment choice, or use the dump valves on your bcd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom