Emergency training with Air II like second air source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgl51

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to hear how you teach emergency procedures to someone diving with one primary regulator and the secondary being an AIR II or equivalent.
Does this means that buoyancy needs to be controlled with one of the additional purge valve available or should the student take the AIR II out of his/her mouth and then purge some air from the BC and then replace reg in the mouth??

Thanks

Realistically, unless the diver is inside a wreck or somesuch, the fact that the diver has donated gas means that they are going straight to the surface.

If you go into a position that is heads up, you don't need to remove the Air2 from your mouth to release air from the BCD. Literally, breathe as normal but press the deflate button on the unit and it will vent as you breathe.

I've never used an Air2 but have the SeaQuest version, the AirSource. It has a "pull dump" (as I believe does the Air2) so in addition to Andy's technique, you can also just pull on the hose to dump air.

BTW, the only times I've actually used the AirSource and had to dump air, I actually took it out of my mouth and dumped!

One other thing to remember with the Air2 type is that you need to have a longer hose on your primary reg -- the one you donate! Too many people (too many shops?) forget that the primary is the reg you donate and just put on the "typical short hose" which makes sharing a very "up close and personal" event!

Sue and I both use the Air2, and while we've never had a real OOA issue (knock wood) we've practiced. Both her LadyHawk and my SeaQuest have pull dumps on the inflator. We've had no problems using the buttons on the inflator hose, the pull dump on the inflator hose or the other pull dumps. As someone else mentioned, you really ought to have a longer hose on your primary. Sue and I were certainly able to share air with the regular length hose that the LDS originally put on, but it's a little more comfortable with the octo length hoses we have now. Some may prefer to go with a 5 or 7 foot primary hose.

Not be an ass but why make life more difficult utilizing that piece of equipment? It's no expensive than a conventional octo, nor less streamline and certainly not as safe. In addition, it typically breathing heavier and wetter. Other than all that it's perfect...:)

Not be an ass but why make life more difficult utilizing that piece of equipment? It's no expensive than a conventional octo, nor less streamline and certainly not as safe. In addition, it typically breathing heavier and wetter. Other than all that it's perfect...:)

Also servicing costs as well can be more, at least locally to me.

I have the Seaquest version. I got it as a package deal with a bunch of old gear. I originally had it on a Seaquest BC that never quite fit me right, then when I got my Zeagle Ranger, after a few dives I installed it on that. What quickly became apparent to me however was that compared to the Zeagle power inflator it was a real pain in the ass to use for it's primary purpose of inflating and venting the BC, so I went back to the Zeagle.

As far as venting the BC goes, I think that for that I would opt to remove the reg from my mouth temporarily while venting the BC.

Less expensive? I got mine new for $100.
Less streamlined? One less hose, one less dangly...
Not as safe? I'd be interested in hearing how this has been proven.
Heavier breathing? Maybe. but then, so are regular octos. If they opened as easy as my MK11/G250V then they'd be free flowing, same as my second stage does if I toss it in the water pointed up.
Service costs? ScubaPro warranty is the same on the Air2 as it is on my primary reg.

I have an older AIR2 style inflator and I usually take it out of my mouth. This is because it vents via the mouthpiece. I don't want a lung full of fungus.

As for the derogatory AIR2 comments, I'm an AIR 2 fan when it comes to rec.

@ 30 to 50ft in crystal blue water I dive a hose less AI comp and Air2, full foot fins, clear silicone mask, a shorty and I'm flying!!!

The 70 - 100 ft dry suit 2X12L, SS BP Rig, canister light, argon tank, in near freezing water of my daily diving is still fun diving but does not compare.

Match the gear to the dive. There is no 1 "right" rig.

I use the rangers octo-z (Zeagles equivalent to the air II) and absolutely love it. Zeagle has come up with the garden hose style attachment for its inflator delflator assemblies making it nearly perfect for any type of diving. In the even your doing some sort of Cave diving where an octo-z is not a very practical setup you just unscrew the octo z and replace it with a standard inflator. the fact it is removeable too makes maintenance nearly perfect in that its no hassle :)

Ive practiced OOAs and to date has been fairly simple but like all aspects of diving its a practice until you get it to a fine art :). As to the age old question of which one is best? the answer is simple. Which ever works best for you :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom