Emergency training with Air II like second air source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that a diver should not have to use a wet, leaking regulator.

However, having the donated reg de-tuned so that it is less likely to freeflow is not a big deal. Plus, if you have ever seen a diver very close to panic, they very likely will be pressing the purge button rather than just inhaling. Pressing the purge, pretty much balsts them with more air than they need, so a "tight" regulator is probably not a big problem.

Why not set things up for the best possible success, with a donated regulator that breathes easily and dry?

You should. That's what we've all been saying. You donate YOUR PRIMARY and YOU take the AirII/Octo-Inflator. Since you're already familiar with it and know how it breathes you won't be surprised and your OOA diver will have a nice, easy 2nd that won't stress them any further.

-Charles

I was responding to someone who made the comment that all octos breathe hard and wet, and the OOG diver shouldn't care, because after all, you are saving them. That's all. It really had little to do with the whole Air2/integrated octo thing.

Well, that would have been me and no, I didn't say "all octos breathe hard and wet."

If someone gets an octo, any octo that's providing air then they're far better off than they were before.

I agree that a diver should not have to use a wet, leaking regulator.

Nobody said anything about a leaking regulator. All gear needs to be properly maintained, including the octo. That said, if I experience some kind of catastrophic failure and need air, I'll take that wet, leaking, air providing regulator and be damned happy to have it.

Some regs breathe wetter than others. Some breathe harder than others. It's all subjective.

-Charles

If an octo is properly adjusted, be it a standard or AirII, most of us would have a problem distinguishing between the two at depth. If I have to do an air share with someone, they get my primary which is usually set at about 1 inch on the mag. My Air 2 is set for about 1.5-1.6. Noticable but not tremendously. If you want a challenge. Have your LDS set up a few regs at different breathing pressures and make them. Take them all to about 15-20 feet and try to put them in order. Can be quite a bit of fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom