Pilot (Air 1 converted) /MK9 project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

first thanks a bunch for this in depth explanation -- Amateur you say 😆, I would take your word over most "experts"
Anyway this is a "let's see how far we can take it" project -- nothing to lose except some fun time gutting regs and trying to Frankestein them back

A good approach might be starting with a service of the Air1 before moving the the pilot conversion. The experience of getting familiar with the Air1 parts and tuning will help on the pilot project.
for sure I will start with that AIR1, less chrome to hurt and parts to loose

I have a couple of D service kits / poppets -- I can start by getting one out of storage once the AIR arrrives, and start debugging it in hopes of understanding it
The D levers will not work, they lack the flat section needed to fit the Air1 diaphragm rod.
are they around the same length? can that be ground off maybe? or is that not worth it?

the simplest approach for a conversion may end up being using a cheap Air1 to as parts donor
funny I was able to find a few Pilots, but only one single AIR 1 -- I will keep a look out

an adjustable pin spanner with 4mm pins.
I got one already, but going through the service manual you shared, I was more worried about this tool -- how necessary is it?
Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 01.31.03.png

A closer look at D vs Air1 levers shows multiple differences in dimensions. The kicker is Air1 lever at 2.5mm diameter, a D400 lever is 3 mm. The D lever does not fit into the Air1 housing.

I've never needed the spring adjusting tool. It seems most of the time the switch spring does not need adjusting, once or twice I have successfully tweaked the spring with long needle nose pliers and a finger. The tool should be easy enough to make, and your mention of it makes me want to make one to play with.

An inline shutoff can be handy while tuning the pilot and Air1s. Fiddling with the lever and diaphragm height adjustments while tuning easily causes noisy free flow if the second stage is pressurized. Turning off air via the tank valve and purging before adjusting is ok, but the inline shutoff makes those adjustments quieter and less time consuming.

I have complete Air 1's, Air 1 parts and Pilots converted to Air 1 to trade for your Pilot or Pilot parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom