Question Electricity question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having completed my first Indonesian trip this year and also electrically challenged I will share what I learned.

First there are 2 issues to consider, plug type and voltage. US appliances are typically style A or B. Other countries have different styles. For appliances that are dual voltage just purchase plug adapters. They are cheap and light. You can get a variety pack so you are covered for multiple trips to different regions. But remember you may need more than one plug unless you will only need to plug a single item at a time.

Next consideration are appliances that are not dual voltage. For these you will need a combo of transformer and plug adapter. Here too these are readily available and not too pricey or unreasonably heavy. On our trip we packed two and could have made do with one since they are multi outlets and often offer usb ports as well.

But hairdryers, curling irons and straighteners are in their own league and many power adapters will say not to use with hairdryers. Here I would use a dual voltage or better yet the dryer offered at you stay.

Several posters have mentioned special considerations for electric toothbrushes. This is new to me. I know of no issues using this with a power adapter and had no problems on my trip.

Search Amazon for Universal Travel Adapter and you’ll find several choices for about $25. They can plug into any outlet in the world and have several USB charging ports and one pass through plug.

I’ve used mine on all 7 continents just fine. I plug my phone, E-Reader, watch, camera, tablet and dive computer into the USB ports and use the pass through plug for my light charger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom