Trip Report Egypt and Red Sea Aggressor 3, non-Aggressor, review.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've never been to liveboard, we have two trips planned.
Reading a dozen or so reports from the journeys of people who have been to the Aggressors and the related surprises, we will never dive from these boats.
In Egypt, our choice was Alia

We've never been to liveboard, we have two trips planned.
Reading a dozen or so reports from the journeys of people who have been to the Aggressors and the related surprises, we will never dive from these boats.
In Egypt, our choice was Alia
Another good alternative is the Explorer Ventures fleet.

I'm not sure if you meant the 2 Aggressors operating in the Red Sea, or the entire Aggressor Fleet. Some people are indeed put off. From your profile you are based out of Poland; I don't know what dive destinations are your main interests or what providers you have to choose amongst. For others who may run across this thread, it may be worth a brief tangent (from the perspective of a North America-based diver, since that's where I am and many others are).

1.) A number of Aggressor Fleet boats have had criticism in various threads on the forum. Some issues alleged were sufficient that I, too, would likely steer clear of those boats.

2.) The extent to which Aggressor Fleet 'runs'/controls operations of individual boats isn't clear to me. From other threads, I get the sense they had a fairly strong hand in the Caribbean, but may act more like a booking storefront for some more distant vessels?

3.) Some Aggressor boats are reputable and have received a number of good reviews. I've been on the Belize Aggressor IV (then called Sun Dancer 2), Cayman Aggressor IV and Turks & Caicos Aggressor II with strongly positive experiences.

4.) That said, a boat that gets good reviews when things go smoothly may get a bad review when interruptions/problems occur and management is seen as handling the situation badly (if at all). See Cayman Aggressor: When does it become too much?

5.) Bad reviews are not confined to the Aggressor Fleet boats. In fact, because their boats are identified under one brand, that brand gets flack for problems with a number of boats. A much smaller operator with problems might not be brought to our attention, or if so, we might not remember it long.

6.) At some destinations, at least in the Caribbean, an Aggressor boat is your main liveaboard option (e.g.: Belize).

7.) Someone in another thread once recommended judging Aggressor Fleet boats on an individual basis, rather than as Aggressor Fleet boats.

I don't avoid Aggressor boats, but I don't preferentially seek them out.

I'm not sure if you meant the 2 Aggressors operating in the Red Sea, or the entire Aggressor Fleet. Some people are indeed put off. From your profile you are based out of Poland; I don't know what dive destinations are your main interests or what providers you have to choose amongst. For others who may run across this thread, it may be worth a brief tangent (from the perspective of a North America-based diver, since that's where I am and many others are).
You have concluded so well, we live in Poland.
Looking at the dive sites, we do not have specific expectations. We are not only interested in cenotes and wrecks.
We will start our first boat dives in November in Egypt, then we will know if we have chosen the right boat.
Don't get me wrong about the Aggressors, they read about a dozen threads related to them, opinions were different: good and bad. This is our private choice.
We do not like the approach to the client when there is something wrong.

Would you mind sharing why you chose Alia? Was it their itinerary? Reviews?
Thanks.
while in June in Port Ghalib we saw two boats, Golden Dolphin 4 and Alia, both in the same quality and price class.
The term suited Alia and so Maria chose (if there is something wrong, I will not be guilty) although Alia does not have an opinion.
The route is Brother, Daedalus, Elphinstone, we already have a lot of experience on Elphinstone. This is our first stay at Liveabord, we are curious to see how the boat experience is a bit like being in a luxury prison.
We will not be able to issue opinions until December

1.) A number of Aggressor Fleet boats have had criticism in various threads on the forum. Some issues alleged were sufficient that I, too, would likely steer clear of those boats.

2.) The extent to which Aggressor Fleet 'runs'/controls operations of individual boats isn't clear to me. From other threads, I get the sense they had a fairly strong hand in the Caribbean, but may act more like a booking storefront for some more distant vessels?

3.) Some Aggressor boats are reputable and have received a number of good reviews. I've been on the Belize Aggressor IV (then called Sun Dancer 2), Cayman Aggressor IV and Turks & Caicos Aggressor II with strongly positive experiences.

4.) That said, a boat that gets good reviews when things go smoothly may get a bad review when interruptions/problems occur and management is seen as handling the situation badly (if at all). See Cayman Aggressor: When does it become too much?

5.) Bad reviews are not confined to the Aggressor Fleet boats. In fact, because their boats are identified under one brand, that brand gets flack for problems with a number of boats. A much smaller operator with problems might not be brought to our attention, or if so, we might not remember it long.

6.) At some destinations, at least in the Caribbean, an Aggressor boat is your main liveaboard option (e.g.: Belize).

7.) Someone in another thread once recommended judging Aggressor Fleet boats on an individual basis, rather than as Aggressor Fleet boats.

I don't avoid Aggressor boats, but I don't preferentially seek them out.
I have dove on multiple different Aggressors and have never had a problem. Just offering my input since I rarely dive on other boats.

Outside of those in the Caribbean, it's my understanding that none of the boats are actually owned by the company, but are franchises. On the one hand, it's easy to understand them having less control as to what goes on aboard the non-company boats, but on the other, consistency across the fleet is one of the things we're paying for. I've been out with them twelve times now, half on Caribbean boats and half to other locations, and have never had any significant issues, although I'm irritated enough with the Socorro operation not to book with them again. I'm very pleased with their handling of my recent Turks and Caicos trip which was interrupted by Fiona. The Okeanos II out of Costa Rica remains my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom