Your preferred international electric travel adapters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most likely 60Hz-required device is a simple plug-in clock, which syncs to the line frequency to keep time. Plug it in (through an adaptor) to a 50Hz line and it will run slow -- at 5/6 speed -- which is great if you want more sleep, but terrible if you are trying to catch a plane.
I used to own a tiny "alarm clock" that I would take on trips (though it was AA-battery powered). Nowadays, phones and even the cheapest wristwatches do the alarm clock job, it seems.

One note on adaptors: If there is a grounding pin (Type B in the link), it ought to be used. So if it is a three-hole outlet in the wall, use a three-pin adapter, and then you can plug in your three-pin device. If your device only has two pins, you can still plug it into a three-hole adapter.

If the outlet in the wall has only two holes, it still might be grounded; (a) look for a protruding metal pin next to the two holes; your plug must have a matching (grounding) hole to fit over that pin; (b) it might have a metal contact on the side of the jack that contacts with a grounding contact on the side of the plug. See Types E and F in the link.
The most anomalous combo is the Type G, that is standard in the UK and found in lots of places that used to be UK..

Easist solution for two-pin (non-grounded0 devices: handful of these.

So I carry a power strip (with US Type B outlets) and simple adapters like from Type B plugs to Type F and G outlets, but I also carry one of the "rubix cube" adapters (linked in Post # 5) that fits anything to anything, just in case.

I have a couple of bags of plug adapters that I rummage through for specific adapters for the countries I'm visiting. I'll have at least two of each adapter, one as backup.

For power strips, I've read that ones with surge suppression for the US might trip on 240V.

Converter issue has been addressed already. That being said, I like this product. It is inexpensive, compact, small volume for travel, light weight, gives me additional adapters, USB ports and outlets, when I really need them for charging everything I bring along on a multi week trip: (dive light batteries, laptop, phone, Bose headphones, backup portable charger). I have stayed in places with very few or awkwardly located outlets and I find this product to be very functional:

Converter issue has been addressed already. That being said, I like this product. It is inexpensive, compact, small volume for travel, light weight, gives me additional adapters, USB ports and outlets, when I really need them for charging everything I bring along on a multi week trip: (dive light batteries, laptop, phone, Bose headphones, backup portable charger). I have stayed in places with very few or awkwardly located outlets and I find this product to be very functional:
The link is here.
I have one of these, but rarely travel with it because it is kinda heavy. It is quite nice, but I think the 220 to 110 conversion is not needed for todays devices.

I have a universal travel adapter that I used throughout Europe. No need to pack a hair dryer or other electric care products. Charging electronics like cell phones is quite easy. Read up on charging prior to travel if you have questions. Funny...in 2006 I dived Bikini Atoll and the Marshall Islands use US standard.

One of these

JYDMIX All In One Universal USB Travel Power Adapter With 3 USB Port And Type-C International Wall Charger Worldwide AC Power Plug 8 Pin AC Socket For Multi-nation Travel​

The amazon link is for the UK site, I'm sure you can find it in the USA.

Remember, these are voltage converters. (The USA is 110Vac, Europe, the UK and a number of other countries are 220Vac).

Power adapters work great for low power switch mode PSU's (like computers, phone chargers etc). They don't work for motors, heaters and high power devices.

Funny...in 2006 I dived Bikini Atoll and the Marshall Islands use US standard.
What is funny? They only became independent from US in 1979, use the US dollar, and are still closely associated in various ways. Same as a number of little Pacific islands.

Back
Top Bottom