Bonaire/Buddy Dive Power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this has been asked before, but it sounds like there has been some changes so I'll ask again.

My understanding is that Bonaire electricity is 127v. My question is do I need a travel voltage converter for some of my more sensitive items (battery chargers) that takes that to 110v, or are essentially all the items we would use that require charging (not including heat-up things like curling irons or hair dryers) safe to plug directly into the wall outlets (through a travel surge protector)?

The voltage isn't the concern so much as the frequency. US standard single-phase supply is 120V 60Hz. On Bonaire it's 127V 50Hz. Most laptops and chargers now support universal voltage from 120 to 240 volts and 50 to 60 Hz. If your electronics say this on the power supplies you'll be fine on Bonaire. If they specify 120V 60Hz only then you should consider bringing an adapter.

The voltage isn't the concern so much as the frequency. US standard single-phase supply is 120V 60Hz. On Bonaire it's 127V 50Hz. Most laptops and chargers now support universal voltage from 120 to 240 volts and 50 to 60 Hz. If your electronics say this on the power supplies you'll be fine on Bonaire. If they specify 120V 60Hz only then you should consider bringing an adapter.
Changing 50 Hz to 60 Hz is not easy or cheap. If you have an appliance that requires 60 Hz, I'd suggest not bringing it.

I can't recall a time of even hearing about an issue with this. I've had everything from tablets, to laptops, to cell phones, to battery chargers plugged in, never had an issue. My laptop tells me when it doesn't like a power source.

So far it looks like all my chargers work with inputs 110v-220v and 50Hz/60Hz, so doesn't appear to be a problem.

Changing 50 Hz to 60 Hz is not easy or cheap. If you have an appliance that requires 60 Hz, I'd suggest not bringing it.

Not sure what easy and cheap mean to you, but something like this $45 200W converter is what I was thinking of.

I can't recall a time of even hearing about an issue with this. I've had everything from tablets, to laptops, to cell phones, to battery chargers plugged in, never had an issue. My laptop tells me when it doesn't like a power source.

I agree that it's not really much of an issue these days because most chargers and DC adapters nowadays are universal voltage. When we first started visiting Bonaire in the 90's it was a big deal for rechargeable dive lights, camera strobes, and battery chargers that only supported 120V 60Hz power. The OP didn't mention what power his devices require so I attempted to answer his question as generically as possible.

So far it looks like all my chargers work with inputs 110v-220v and 50Hz/60Hz, so doesn't appear to be a problem.
Yeah, chargers are easy. It is devices that are more difficult...like AC-powered hair-dryers (they run 20% slower and can overheat) and plug-in clocks (that won't keep accurate time).
Not sure what easy and cheap mean to you, but something like this $45 200W converter is what I was thinking of.
That's a good deal....not enough power for a hair dryer, but otherwise fine.

Buddy Dive is not on the grid, by the way. They make their own power from diesel generators on-property. No problem with brownouts or any of the other irritations of the past.

Thanks Tursiops, is buddy's homemade electricity 60 hz or 50hz?

Yeah, chargers are easy. It is devices that are more difficult...like AC-powered hair-dryers (they run 20% slower and can overheat) and plug-in clocks (that won't keep accurate time).

Buddy Dive is not on the grid, by the way. They make their own power from diesel generators on-property. No problem with brownouts or any of the other irritations of the past.

All good for me as all I'll have to plug in are chargers.

Got it...the not on the grid part makes perfect sense to me as to why they are quoted as having 127v 50Hz/60Hz, which is different than when you look up Bonaire on worldwide travel voltage sites.

Back
Top Bottom