Your preferred international electric travel adapters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hope to someday make a one-time bucket list trip to somewhere in Indonesia. I've been researching online and aim for Raja Amat. I've never traveled to Europe or anywhere else farther than the Galapagos, and I've never had to contend with power outlets that don't accept U.S. plugs. I thought this was just a matter of buying a universal adapter to plug into the outlet, easy-peasy. Turns out it's more complicated.

First off, let's see what electric service a mid-range Raja Amat live-aboard offers. Indo-Siren per Blue Water Dive Travel has 220v or 110v. Master Liveaboard’s site claimed both 220v/50Hz and 24v/60Hz available, with power points requiring European-style 2 round pin plugs, a small selection of adapters are available onboard but they recommend guests bring a universal adapter. Not sure why one source says 110v (which I take it is like U.S., 110v/60Hz) and one says 24v/60Hz.

Then I learned shopping for universal adapters has 3 considerations – plug compatibility (e.g.: can you plug it in), voltage conversion (which not all do), and the maximum current/wattage supported (especially if you want to use hair dryers or other high wattage items). The EPICKA Universal Adapter was highly rated, and let’s you plug into a range of outlets, but doesn’t convert voltage, max. power output is 880 Watts at 110Vac or 1,840W at 230Vac, and it’s warned not to use with appliances requiring ‘earth connections’ (that mean a grounded outlet?). TripSavvy.com warned it’s noisy when charging (a charger that made noise would scare me). So one might consider the Bonazza 2,000W Voltage Converter – but you have to choose between converter mode and adapter mode (which doesn’t convert voltage), and dual voltage appliances must use adapter mode – so be careful as you plug in different things! Don’t trust in a good review…read the details! Some devices can handle different voltages and only need a plug adapter, not a voltage converter.

Granted, I don't use hair dryers...I comb my hair in place while wet, and let dry. I don't think I'm grunge, just 'cosmetically low maintenance.'

So, those of you who make the Indonesia trips, PNG, Philippines, Palau, Fiji, etc... What adapters do you use? How much of an issue is it that the adapter is also a voltage converter?

I was kinda hoping for something in the $20 - $50 range.

I used to have a universal adapter, but I lost it somewhere. So for our last couple of trips, to Fiji/Australia and to St Lucia, I had to buy specific adapters. Also, for every trip including trips inside the US, I take a short 3-prong extension cable cause there is never enough sockets.

If you don’t use a hairdryer, then a simple adapter from round plug to US slot outlet is all you need to have. Most of battery chargers and laptop take 220-240vAC/60Hz & 110-120VAC/50Hz. No big deal anymore.

Adapters and converters and converter wattage are the whole story, good to understand. But most of that is a blast from the past that you don’t need to worry about. Look at the specs printed on each item you will actually take with you, and nowadays you will probably find they are all dual voltage and you don’t actually need a converter, high wattage or otherwise. The only common thing that might is a hair dryer which you don’t use, and most places will have them in rooms or on request anyway. This is also true of other small appliances some travelers might use like irons.

Few things care about 50 vs 60 Hz and you probably don’t need to travel with those items either.

Get a set of adaptors and/or a universal adapter. Extend that with a small power strip, because some places don’t have enough outlets and they can be inconvenient. A 2 to 3 prong adaptor is also a handy thing to have.

Note that hotels that are likely to have international travelers will often have at least one universal outlet, typically in the bathroom, sometimes more. Even places that suggest you bring adaptors. So what you bring may be a supplement, not your only option.

Liveaboards that cater heavily to Americans may even have all US or universal style outlets no matter where they are, should say on their website.

Agree with all the above. Electronics and chargers will normally work with anything you find so all you really need is a plug adapter, not a voltage converter. FWIW, I think the last common use for voltage converters are for people who move between countries and want to take some favorite appliances or power tools with them.

It's easy enough to check if your stuff will work with foreign voltages. Somewhere on the plug or charger brick will be a statement showing the range of acceptable input voltages and frequencies. If it looks like the following, you only need the plug adapter.

INPUT: 100-240V 50/60Hz

For the plug adapter, I like the universal ones with a couple of USB sockets for convenience. If you are charging more than a couple of things, you might want to bring a couple of adapters and a small power strip.

Other notes:

Most of the USB outlets on the travel adapters have limited output. You need to closely read the fine print if you want to use them for fast charging. Also even the main adapter might have limits. If you are using something that draws a fair amount of current like a CPAP humidifier, make sure that the adapter can handle it.

In addition to the adapter, it's a good idea to have a couple of cables with usb-a on one end and whatever you use on the other (likely usb-c or lightning). USB-A charging outlets are pretty common on airlines, hotel rooms, coffee shops, and even on plug outlets these days.

If you use a plug-in electric trimmer, be sure to check the specs carefully. I ruined a Wahl trimmer by ignoring this advice.

FWIW, here's the one I bought in 2018. There's probably something better now, but I have no complaints.

So, those of you who make the Indonesia trips, PNG, Philippines, Palau, Fiji, etc... What adapters do you use? How much of an issue is it that the adapter is also a voltage converter?

I was kinda hoping for something in the $20 - $50 range.
All the countries you listed are 200V+. There are LoB/places that would provide 110V but you need to find out first. I would suggest you leave all appliances set at 110V only at home.
Universal adapter is all you required.

@lowwall has suggested a good one well under $20.00.

I know you are dreaded on long haul flight but those countries listed offer exceptional diving.

All good advice. I carry a couple of plug adapters and a short extension cord with multiple plug ins. Everything I carry - laptop, chargers is rated for 110/220.

Through the years I have taken various cleverly designed (some more so than others) universal travel adapters, some with voltage converter capability (transformers). For several reasons, I no longer use these things.

First, rarely have I been on a trip where I made multiple stops around the world for any significant length of time, such that I needed multiple types of adapters. Those clever designs that compactly provide adapters for four or five different plug configurations are cool but never came in as handy as I had once envisioned. Rather, when I'm going to, say, Europe, I simply bring a European adapter. Indeed, I take a power strip that has several US-style sockets and a cord with European 2-pin plug. Back in the Stone Age, such things were hard to find, and hence the appeal of the universal adapter, but no longer.

Second, I latched onto the universal adapters back in the Stone Age, before many consumer electronic devices were inherently capable of operating on dual voltage (110/220V) and frequency (50/60Hz) or USB power. I can't think of any electronic or electrical device I currently take on trips that absolutely requires 110V/60Hz. I'm sure they exist, but I don't own any. Like you, I don't take my own hair dryer. LOL.

Everyone has said it but to summarize. In Indonesia, you just need a type C and F plug converter, which are the standard two-prong style in Europe; so they a plentiful/cheap and can be used in a lot of places. I've traveled int'l quite a bit for work and fun and my standard kit is to bring a few prong converters specific to a country, a small travel power strip and a 4-outlet USB charger.

Two of these are like $5

Attachments

• 51Ze1htR5BL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    51Ze1htR5BL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 61
The most likely 60Hz-required device is a simple plug-in clock, which syncs to the line frequency to keep time. Plug it in (through an adaptor) to a 50Hz line and it will run slow -- at 5/6 speed -- which is great if you want more sleep, but terrible if you are trying to catch a plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom