DUI Drysuit pockets: WTB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to pull the trigger on a DUI CLX50/50 today or tomorrow. I'm down to figuring out what pocket(s) to buy and need advice. I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching didn't get me anywhere very quickly.

For the next year, my diving will be limited to deep recreational (0-130 feet), with occasional penetration into prepared wrecks (like the Yukon and Ruby E in San Diego). After that, i hope to have some technical training under my belt, and will be moving on to --hopefully--"natural" wrecks. I'd like to buy a pocket or two that will help me out in the future, but don't want to have duffel bags on my legs.

I'm thinking that I need a pocket to be able to carry possibly the following in the future:

> Slates, and lots of 'em
> Backup mask
> Something like EMT shears

Can anyone recommend a pocket (or pockets), and if so, what are your reasons for said pocket? Does anyone get a knife pocket on the suit?

Thanks!

I just ordered a CLX450 and got 2 bellows pockets with velcro.

I have the 5th-D pockets on my current suit which are the biggest pockets I've seen. I think the DUI pockets are slightly smaller, but my buddies tell me they work.

I keep a backup mask, marker and spool, wetnotes, shears, backup bottom timer, backup double enders, a leash, mirror, whistle, and other misc stuff in my pockets, so I use the bigger bellows pockets. I heard that the zipper pockets are easier to get stuff back inside, but the zipper is prone to getting stuck in sandy environments. I do find it hard sometimes to get my wetnotes back in the velcro pocket. My dealer recommended one zipper and one velcro pocket and that I put the wetnotes in the zipper pocket since they go in an out, while most of the other stuff stays out, once it comes out.

I also dive almost exclusively with drygloves, if that makes any difference regarding dexterity and opening and closing pockets.

Pretty much all I see around - whether tech or rec divers - are bellows pockets. The big ones with velcro flaps. Easy to operate and fit a good amount of stuff, I guess that's the rationale. Zippers are a pain to open/close after a while. My primary cutting device/s aren't in the pocket and back up cutter fits in there with other stuff, so works fine for me.

The Halcyon bellows pockets are nice, with a separate compartments for wet notes and another for small items. I think they're a little cheaper than the large DUI bellows pockets.

After reading your suggestions and looking over the DUI stuff, I think it's the bellows pocket for me. I'll probably go only with 1 for the time being.

Since I will be diving with dry gloves for a good chunk of the year, these seem to make good sense.

Thanks!

After reading your suggestions and looking over the DUI stuff, I think it's the bellows pocket for me. I'll probably go only with 1 for the time being.

Since I will be diving with dry gloves for a good chunk of the year, these seem to make good sense.

Thanks!
The first rule of scuba spending - Why buy one, when you can buy two at twice the price.

If you think you'll need two pockets at some point in the future, I would get two since they are sewn and sealed at the factory. If you are trying to save the $130 for the extra pocket, then you might be better off buying a cheaper suit.

The first rule of scuba spending - Why buy one, when you can buy two at twice the price.

If you think you'll need two pockets at some point in the future, I would get two since they are sewn and sealed at the factory. If you are trying to save the $130 for the extra pocket, then you might be better off buying a cheaper suit.

Money isn't an issue in this case. It's that I'd rather not add an extra drag/snag item to my body unless absolutely necessary. I'm probably making much ado about nothing though.

Pretty much all I see around - whether tech or rec divers - are bellows pockets. The big ones with velcro flaps. Easy to operate and fit a good amount of stuff, I guess that's the rationale. Zippers are a pain to open/close after a while.QUOTE]

Zippers can break and jam shut or open too. You can always replace velcro if it wears out. I put the DUI bellows pocket on my drysuit and my wetsuit. Like em just fine but kind of wish I'd gotten two on each for an extra mask storage place. I've see some people using the XS bellows pocket too but they seemed a little too big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom