Review New Dive Gear Express glue-on thigh pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
At the height of the brexit uncertainty, I bought a neoprene drysuit from Seaskin. Nearly complete bare-bones model, cost me 650 dollars shipped! In general I’m happy without all the extra bells and whistles, but the one thing I did regret was not getting pockets put on my suit.

I’ve been looking to glue on some thigh pockets, and recently saw that there are new DGX pockets that look far superior to the old ones, albeit a bit more expensive. I decided to place an order, and figured I would share some pictures in case others are considering adding pockets. You can see the pockets I purchased here:

They cost 49 dollars each, and I used 3 tubes of aquaseal+FD to apply them, so total cost was about 130 dollars.

First, I donned my drysuit, and had a friend outline the pocket location with white chalk. After that, we used a silver paint pen to make an outline about 2 cm inside the chalk outline (this was our backup plan in case the chalk rubbed off). After that I took of the drysuit, and put a thick, heavy book inside the leg to make a flat surface to apply the pocket on.

To the pocket I applied one whole tube of aquaseal and spread it across the back thinly. Using about half of the second tube, I applied a thick, toothpaste-like squeeze of aquaseal only around the outer edge of the pocket. I then pressed the pocket onto the correct area guided by the chalk line. I put a book in the pocket, then put weights on top and allowed to dry for at least 12 hours before switching to do the other pocket.

You can see the pictures of the pockets after being glued in the attached images. So far I’m very happy with how they turned out! The pockets seem very nice. They have a rigid attachment in the flap to make peeling off the Velcro easy. There’s one zipper pocket on top for smaller items, and a bungee attached within the pocket. Plenty of room inside, I have one big SMB in one pocket, and a backup mask and wet notes in the other. There’s probably room for more stuff as well.

One nice feature is there is a Velcro strap on the outside that works perfectly for a trilo-byte, or the DGX version. I also purchased the new DGX hybrid titanium line cutter, and it seems nice as well.

If anyone has any questions about these pockets, please let me know! I’ll give an update next week after diving with them.

Attachments

• 0178DF50-2159-44D7-81C4-A925C741175B.jpeg
    0178DF50-2159-44D7-81C4-A925C741175B.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 214
  • D750BFE7-5E12-408A-AA76-302719E70556.jpeg
    D750BFE7-5E12-408A-AA76-302719E70556.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 450B094F-0A80-4DD9-9200-91B409E69F2C.jpeg
    450B094F-0A80-4DD9-9200-91B409E69F2C.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 194
  • F5BA0AC0-5972-4CBA-8CF7-1DC030C21042.jpeg
    F5BA0AC0-5972-4CBA-8CF7-1DC030C21042.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 42AEF3BA-1CE2-43F8-89FB-2459D9821983.jpeg
    42AEF3BA-1CE2-43F8-89FB-2459D9821983.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 195
I attached a glue on pockets on 2 wetsuits. Both with great. I don't remember which ones I got but they were fine. Not as many features as your pocket has though. Mine are just a basic Velcro closure pocket.

I attached a glue on pockets on 2 wetsuits. Both with great. I don't remember which ones I got but they were fine. Not as many features as your pocket has though. Mine are just a basic Velcro closure pocket.
I also have used the old DGX pockets that are neoprene backed, but these are far superior I think, and only cost 20 dollars more each!

At the height of the brexit uncertainty, I bought a neoprene drysuit from Seaskin. Nearly complete bare-bones model, cost me 650 dollars shipped! In general I’m happy without all the extra bells and whistles, but the one thing I did regret was not getting pockets put on my suit.

I’ve been looking to glue on some thigh pockets, and recently saw that there are new DGX pockets that look far superior to the old ones, albeit a bit more expensive. I decided to place an order, and figured I would share some pictures in case others are considering adding pockets. You can see the pockets I purchased here:

They cost 49 dollars each, and I used 3 tubes of aquaseal+FD to apply them, so total cost was about 130 dollars.

First, I donned my drysuit, and had a friend outline the pocket location with white chalk. After that, we used a silver paint pen to make an outline about 2 cm inside the chalk outline (this was our backup plan in case the chalk rubbed off). After that I took of the drysuit, and put a thick, heavy book inside the leg to make a flat surface to apply the pocket on.

To the pocket I applied one whole tube of aquaseal and spread it across the back thinly. Using about half of the second tube, I applied a thick, toothpaste-like squeeze of aquaseal only around the outer edge of the pocket. I then pressed the pocket onto the correct area guided by the chalk line. I put a book in the pocket, then put weights on top and allowed to dry for at least 12 hours before switching to do the other pocket.

You can see the pictures of the pockets after being glued in the attached images. So far I’m very happy with how they turned out! The pockets seem very nice. They have a rigid attachment in the flap to make peeling off the Velcro easy. There’s one zipper pocket on top for smaller items, and a bungee attached within the pocket. Plenty of room inside, I have one big SMB in one pocket, and a backup mask and wet notes in the other. There’s probably room for more stuff as well.

One nice feature is there is a Velcro strap on the outside that works perfectly for a trilo-byte, or the DGX version. I also purchased the new DGX hybrid titanium line cutter, and it seems nice as well.

If anyone has any questions about these pockets, please let me know! I’ll give an update next week after diving with them.
thanks for your great info. To calc how much Aquaseal FD I need t buy; when you say that you =used 3 tubes; What size tubes were the tubes; 0.75 oz (ml) or 8oz (226ml) - or one in between as the small sounds too small & the big sounds too big; so trying to work out how many oz o ml is required per pocket?

Back
Top Bottom