Dry Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I ran a search but nothing specific came up.
I am considering getting a set but i am lost. opions on what style/brands would be great. Also any pros/cons. I currently have a trilam with latex seals. and as always..thanks!!

I ran a search but nothing specific came up.
I am considering getting a set but i am lost. opions on what style/brands would be great. Also any pros/cons. I currently have a trilam with latex seals. and as always..thanks!!

Not to put you off, but try an Advanced Search in Titles for "drygloves" as one word, not two.

I've only used the SI TECH dryglove ring system (trilam with latex seals), but it meets my needs very well:
  • simple
  • reliable
  • self-donnable
  • good dexterity
  • latex wrist seal remains intact during use
  • the pvc gloves are easily patched
  • the pvc gloves are cheap to replace (or have spares on hand in different sizes for different amounts of liners) (available at commercial fishing outlets)
  • if desired, the rings can be removed from the suit and from the gloves in less than one minute, and re-installed in less than 5 minutes
  • the SI TECH ring system can be found at relatively low prices (eBay, etc)
Drawbacks:
  • bulky rings get in the way when reaching into lobster holes, etc
  • some people manage to get leaks at the o-ring (takes a little care to dock the rings)
  • pvc gloves can be punctured somewhat easily
HTH.

Dave C

Last edited:
Guess that swhat i get for not being able to spell:lotsalove:

Thanks for the link. and the info

Guess that swhat i get for not being able to spell:lotsalove:

Thanks for the link. and the info

Now, don't be hard on yourself, both spellings are used....just one a little more than the other.... :D

Good luck!

Dave C

Not to put you off, but here's an Advanced Search result for "drygloves" as one word, not two.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7857692

I've only used the SI TECH dryglove ring system (trilam with latex seals), but it meets my needs very well:
  • simple
  • reliable
  • self-donnable
  • good dexterity
  • latex wrist seal remains intact during use
  • the pvc gloves are easily patched
  • the pvc gloves are cheap to replace (or have spares on hand in different sizes for different amounts of liners) (available at commercial fishing outlets)
  • if desired, the rings can be removed from the suit and from the gloves in less than one minute, and re-installed in less than 5 minutes
  • the SI TECH ring system can be found at relatively low prices (eBay, etc)
Drawbacks:
  • bulky rings get in the way when reaching into lobster holes, etc
  • some people manage to get leaks at the o-ring (takes a little care to dock the rings)
  • pvc gloves can be punctured somewhat easily
HTH.

Dave C

I use these as well. I have had a few problems with mine, but the problems were due to my own. I used Vaseline on th o-rings once for lube, big mistake it made the o-ring swell almost double the size but at a 1.00 an o-ring it wasn't a costly mistake lesson learned.

I know a lot of divers that use the bare dry glove. It locks by thread method, you screw the two rings together.
BARE Commercial / Survival

I have a Bare Trilam suit as well, I ended up ordering a set of Viking bayonet style rings for about 110.00 Canadian. To use with the si-tec gloves I have now. There are places you can buy replacement gloves a lot cheaper and many do. Piece of advice, If you go with any insulated glove, try and get ones that the liner is removable. If not, if your gloves gets wet it takes days to dry them. Also removable liners are easy to wash.
Viking Bayonet Dry Glove Ring Kits

Just some other avenues.
Good Luck.

I understand there are three major types of ring-style dry-gloves. They all generally install over the factory latex (or sometimes, neoprene) seals and as such preserve the wrist seal in case the glove breaks.

-Si-tech -discussed here, can be a bit tough to install?
-Viking - inexpensive (~$90 from Bob3 here), easy to install and use, but I've had a couple of instances where it was hard to open after a dive.
-Diving Concepts - expensive, but supposedly very easy to don/doff. I've heard it can be a bit harder to install the gloves-side rings.

DUI has a zipglove that works with their exclusive zip-seal system. Also, there are drygloves that don't use rings, they just have a latex seal at the wrist (just like your drysuit). People who find the ring system clunky sometimes prefer these.

I understand there are three major types of ring-style dry-gloves. They all generally install over the factory latex (or sometimes, neoprene) seals and as such preserve the wrist seal in case the glove breaks.

-Si-tech -discussed here, can be a bit tough to install?
-Viking - inexpensive (~$90 from Bob3 here), easy to install and use, but I've had a couple of instances where it was hard to open after a dive.
-Diving Concepts - expensive, but supposedly very easy to don/doff. I've heard it can be a bit harder to install the gloves-side rings.

DUI has a zipglove that works with their exclusive zip-seal system. Also, there are drygloves that don't use rings, they just have a latex seal at the wrist (just like your drysuit). People who find the ring system clunky sometimes prefer these.

Both style, the Bare and the Diving concepts are easy to install. I did mine and have had no experience at all. Looked on the net and within half an hour they were installed. There are two ways to installed. One way is to have the latex seal inside the glove leaving the opening clear, but if you have a failure the water will get inside the suit. the other is to keep the wrist seal in place so it will still seal inside the wrist area, thus a failure water stays out of the suit (most commonly used this way) However, replacing the glove to the ring if a bit hard, you need a tool. Basically it is a circular piece of abs plastic style pipe, collapsed and placed inside, expanded to expand the glove with o-ring from within and used to slide the glove and o-ring over the plastic cuff ring. As the video shows in the link I provided earlier. When you buy the gloves they come in place, all you need t do is install the cuff ring to the suit and this can be done easily enough, or your shop would likely do it for you. As for price, the dui is expensive, compared to the bare and diving concepts, from what I have seen here in Canada, they price pretty much the same. As for don and dof you will get many opinions such as mine and in my opinion bare and Diving Concepts are easy enough to remove, DUI is easier and sweet but at a cost.

Back
Top Bottom