Dry Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theres always o-rings on the twist ones :wink: Are these for your dept. dive team suits, or your personal?

These will be for my personal use. Will i get a discount if i say the are for the team?:wink: We don't use dry gloves on the team for the hazards of broken bottles, cans and other debri we encounter on the lake bottom.

Thanks for all the replies.

I like the cuff style better than the one's with just the latex seals on them.

Your more than welcome Opie, glad I could be of some help...lol.... We newby's gotta stick together!..lol.

-Si-tech -discussed here, can be a bit tough to install?
-Viking - inexpensive (~$90 from Bob3 here), easy to install and use, but I've had a couple of instances where it was hard to open after a dive.
-Diving Concepts - expensive, but supposedly very easy to don/doff. I've heard it can be a bit harder to install the gloves-side rings.

DUI has a zipglove that works with their exclusive zip-seal system. Also, there are drygloves that don't use rings, they just have a latex seal at the wrist (just like your drysuit). People who find the ring system clunky sometimes prefer these.

I have the Viking rings on my Fusion and love them. The older rings are teh ones that people had problems with getting them off after a dive. The newer rings are much easier (or so I am told). I have never had a problem getting out of mine... I also do not clamp them all the way down. I go to about 3/4 of completely locked.

There are a few things that I do not like about the DUI Zip gloves. First, they stay on the suit. So when you put your arms in yout suit your gloves are already on. I prefer to put my gloves on close to last to make gearing up easier. Second, I do not like the fact that you do not have a wrist seal. As has already been stated the PVC gloves can puncture and I like the fact that I still have a wrist seal with my DG system so that only my hand will get cold. I have yet to tear a glove but I am sure it will happen some day. I have heard recently that DUI now also has a DG system that keeps a seal on your wrist but I have not seen them...

Phil

I have the Viking rings on my Fusion and love them. The older rings are teh ones that people had problems with getting them off after a dive. The newer rings are much easier (or so I am told). I have never had a problem getting out of mine... I also do not clamp them all the way down. I go to about 3/4 of completely locked.

There are a few things that I do not like about the DUI Zip gloves. First, they stay on the suit. So when you put your arms in yout suit your gloves are already on. I prefer to put my gloves on close to last to make gearing up easier. Second, I do not like the fact that you do not have a wrist seal. As has already been stated the PVC gloves can puncture and I like the fact that I still have a wrist seal with my DG system so that only my hand will get cold. I have yet to tear a glove but I am sure it will happen some day. I have heard recently that DUI now also has a DG system that keeps a seal on your wrist but I have not seen them...

Phil

Phil,

I agree that the dam functions as a extra precaution that divers can get. However, not all of DUI zipgloves are created equal. I own the compressed neoprene gloves with liners.

They are incredibly warm and will not tear like the smurf blues that a lot of divers have. They are more bulky but that is the trade off.

MG

Since I've gotten my viking rings (well, that's only a few months ago, so I assume they're the newer style?), I've only had one instance (my last dive) where neither I nor my buddy could get one ring off by pushing the tabs. We just grasped each side of the actual ring and twisted it off that way.

I'm going to do the 3/4 lock from now on too - it's pretty easy to tell when you achieve a watertight seal, and IMO there's no need to completely lock it down.

Phil,

I agree that the dam functions as a extra precaution that divers can get. However, not all of DUI zipgloves are created equal. I own the compressed neoprene gloves with liners.

They are incredibly warm and will not tear like the smurf blues that a lot of divers have. They are more bulky but that is the trade off.

MG

Yeah I forgot about the compressed neo gloves. That does pretty much take out the possibility of tearing one. I still personally do not like that they stay attached to the suit. Again I have never used them (zip gloves at all) but I have heard that the neoprene gloves really take a good bit of dexterity away. Maybe you get use to that like you do with the smurf gloves?

Since I've gotten my viking rings (well, that's only a few months ago, so I assume they're the newer style?), I've only had one instance (my last dive) where neither I nor my buddy could get one ring off by pushing the tabs. We just grasped each side of the actual ring and twisted it off that way.

I'm going to do the 3/4 lock from now on too - it's pretty easy to tell when you achieve a watertight seal, and IMO there's no need to completely lock it down.

I too would assume that you have the newer rings. I cannot remember how to tell. Bob3 had told me what they changed and now I do not remember. One of my dive buddies only twists his rings half way and has not had a problem. I am more comfortable with 3/4 for now. Maybe if I start having problems getting them off I will try going to 1/2.

Phil

I've got a pair on DIY rings made from 3 inch PVC coupling, with a pair of Harbor Freight rubber blasting gloves. They've got an 11 inch cuff (which means it's got plenty of material to grab in order to pull on) and the hand areas are textured so you can actually grip things. I haven't tried any other rings (i.e. Viking, Bare, etc.) but I've heard a lot of possitive feedback for both the classic rings as well as the screw-ons

I only twist my Viking rings about 1/4 of the way, or even less. I've never had a problem with that, unless I've allowed the rings and o-rings to get dirty, in which case they do seep a bit.

I LOVE the Viking rings. I can install them in about three minutes, and take them off in the same, without tools. I can put new gloves on my rings in the field in about the same amount of time. I use Atlas gloves that I buy at the hardware store, with little thin polarfleece liners in them, which keep me pretty warm even when I have had leaks. You are ALWAYS sure if the gloves are docked properly -- no pop-offs when you get in the water.

The ONLY downside I come up with is expense (I paid $140 for mine, I understand they're much cheaper through Bob3) and that they can definitely shorten the life of your wrist seals, if you are using lighter seals AND they are smaller than the rings. My Mobby's suit did a couple hundred dives before the wrist seals went, but my DC went only a few dozen before the seals died -- but those seals were smaller than the rings, and were therefore stretched over the sharp edge of the plastic. Heavy duty seals solved the problem.

I have a pair of dry gloves on my dry suit. They are the cuff style. For me, I would rather have a pair of regular gloves. I find that my gloves are too bulky, even though they fit my hands. I can grip things, but trying pull things out of my thigh pockets, etc, they get in the way. It just take longer to do things. I really like them when I just have to dive and don't have to worry about getting anything out of pockets or bags!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom