Dry glove systems for DUI zip seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've decided I would like to find a new dry glove system that is compatible with my DUI zip seals.The zip gloves work great, except I can't leave the gloves off till the last while you dealing neck seals, zips, hoods, and the rest of my dive kit or helping others with their kit. one system I have looked at is the rolocks, but I can't find any info about the differences between the rolock 1/2/3 and 90, which do I want and why. I am also considering a number of others, but again what are the advantages and disadvantages of each system.

If I remember correctly you're stuck with zip seals unless you put a new suit side ring on. Then you'd likely void any warranty and dui wouldn't be able to leak check the suit since they only have zip seals.

Rolock 1, 2, and 3 are the same system...they are for attaching to latex seals that are glued into the wrist cuffs of ones suit.

The numbers refer to the plastic glove retention ring that comes with the suit:

Rolock 1: Comes with a blue retention ring that is sized to work with medium sized SHOWA 490 gloves. These are a PVC type gloves with an attached (glued in place) thick insulating liner.

Rolock 2: Comes with a black retention ring that is sized to work with large/extra large sized SHOWA 490 glives.

Rolock 3: Comes with a red rtention ring that is sized to work with gloves such as the SHOWA 495, 660, 720, etc., These gloves do not have an attached thick insulating liner.

The Rolock 90 glove ring system, functions similarly to the Rolock 1, 2, and 3, but it is designed to integrate with the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist ring system.

The Rolock 90 glove ring system typically comes with 2 glove retentions rings:
Blue: For unlined gloves like the SHOWA 495, 660, 720, etc.
Black: For gloves like the SHOWA 490 that has a glued-in thermal isulating liner.

What other systems are you considering?

@Marie13 integrated a set of Kubi glove rings with DUI zip seals. Perhaps she can share her experience.

-Z

• Thanks
Reactions: L13
If I remember correctly you're stuck with zip seals unless you put a new suit side ring on. Then you'd likely void any warranty and dui wouldn't be able to leak check the suit since they only have zip seals.
Yes, I was looking for something I could put on the zip seals.

I think my warranty is already void. the suit was made in 2002. I bought it used in 2020, and have almost 100 dives on it now, still going strong.

The Rolock 90 glove ring system, functions similarly to the Rolock 1, 2, and 3, but it is designed to integrate with the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist ring system.
Does that me the 90 doesn't work with the DUI seals?

Does that me the 90 doesn't work with the DUI seals?

I imagine they could if you add an o-ring to retain the cuff ring to the zip seal. You could theoretically used the Rolock 1, 2, or 3 that way as well.

-Z

Rolock: I've been happy with them.
With zip seals, you chose the type of glove you want to wear (see post 3) and attach the other half of the ring to the wrist zip seals. I bought 3's because I didn't want to use gloves with attached linings.
I have looked at other divers set-ups. The Rolock rings are attached directly to the zip seals, not to the suit. I chose to use the heavy duty latex wrist seals as my attachment point, rather than my preferred silicone; my opinion - the HD latex is more durable than silicone.

The wrist seals can still be left long enough to provide a good seal when diving without the gloves, although the hard ring will still be present. I have dived sans gloves without leaks. With the seals left long, I have to leave a bit of my under garment sleeve under the seal to allow air transfer to the gloves.

When attaching the ring to the wrist seal, get the inner ring right up close to the joint tape that attaches the "zip" to the "seal". This minimizes exposure of the seal to possible damage. Rolock also sells a protection ring that can cover the "zip" if the ring is positioned close enough.

I have seen that other divers position the ring further out on the seal to compensate for suit sleeves being to short. This leaves a band of "seal" exposed between "zip" and glove.

• Thanks
Reactions: L13
Rolock: I've been happy with them.
With zip seals, you chose the type of glove you want to wear (see post 3) and attach the other half of the ring to the wrist zip seals. I bought 3's because I didn't want to use gloves with attached linings.
A bit over a handful of years ago, especially in European diving circles, the SHOWA/ATLAS 490 glove was very popular as it has a thick fuzzy insulating liner glued inside of it.

As a wider range of gloves became available, both as the waterproof protective outer glove and thin but thermally effective glove liners, there has been a shift away from the 490 glove....primarly because they are a pain to mount on glove rings.

While Rolock's offerings still acount for the 490 glove, most shops (brick and mortar as well as online) choose to carry only the Rolock 3 of the original Rolock system, as it offers the most verstatility in glove choice to pair with the system.

The SHOWA/ATLAS 495 is the same PVC glove with a removable insulating glove liner. The 495 can be used with our without the glove liner.

My preference is the SHOWA 720. As a nitrile glove it has better abrasion, cut, and puncture resistance ratings, and is stretchier and more comfortable (to me) than the PVC gloves.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom