Seal on seal dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
I couldn't find a related thread so here comes the question

When people talk about dry gloves, 99% of the time some ring system comes up, but the seal on seal dry gloves aren't mentioned

Is there a particular reason they are not as popular?

Most likely a few reasons.
They take some technique to get into on your own. (though, super easy with a buddy)
They require proper trimming with a balance between tight enough to keep friction between seals and stay dry, and loose enough not to consitrict bloodflow. For this reason the gloves with ring systems often seem "warmer".

I couldn't find a related thread so here comes the question

When people talk about dry gloves, 99% of the time some ring system comes up, but the seal on seal dry gloves aren't mentioned

Is there a particular reason they are not as popular?
They're a hassle to put on compared to a ring system, and considering how easy it is to add a ring system to even a glued on wrist seal it's just not really worth the aggravation in my opinion

I never saw them in real life, what's the issue of putting them on by yourself?
It's not easy to fit second glove without buddy. But after some training me managed to do this.
Also, we make custom dry gloves with seals glued on.
Main benefit from seal-on-seal gloves is more flexibility in your palms, for me ring system dry gloves are now big and clumsy.

I never saw them in real life, what's the issue of putting them on by yourself?
They really need to be completely flush/flat seal on seal. ANY wrinkles WILL cause leakage. They are also sensitive to too much coverage, too little coverage and uneveness. It is not at all impossble to do alone, just a bit fidly, and takes a bit of technique. With a buddy it is simple.

I used mine for some time. Easy to mount the first glove but never ever managed to mount the second glove when the first hand had double wool liners + the outer glove. When I say "mount" it's more "pick up the thin seal to stretch and remove any "wrinkles" that I couldn't do. So 1 hand - no issue. 1 (or I suspect even 2) hands with gloves - hopeless to me..)

What I did when I used them was to flip/invert the glove seal onto the glove itself. Then put the glove partially on and flip the seal back onto the suit and straighten it out. Actually pretty easy to do once you've done it a couple of times, even the second glove.

I've used seal-on-seal gloves for some time now.
drawbacks: needs practice and must trim the seals correctly in order to don and doff easily by yourself. Better practice at home before first dive.
advantages: found it very reliable, easy to check if they're sealed (no wrinkles), never got wet. Whereas quite a few of my buddies had to call dives due to issues with various ring systems (o-ring leaks, broken or deformed rings won't seal, ...). They tend to repair and change ring systems more often than I'd expect.
Very flexible, no clumsy rings while handling stages or other gear, popular among sidemount divers.
Wrist seals still work, can decide between dry gloves, wet gloves, or no gloves shortly before the dive.
Cheaper than ring system.
Easy to decide, just give it a try for a while and see if you can make it work for you, and if not then just get a ring system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom