Quantifying drysuit seal pressures in non-immersed scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crofrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is an interesting paper that Andrew Pitkin oversaw:

Quantifying drysuit seal pressures in non-immersed scuba divers - PMC (nih.gov)

Abstract​

Introduction​

Drysuits use flexible neck and wrist seals to maintain water-tight seals. However, if the seals exert too much pressure adverse physiological effects are possible, including dizziness, lightheadedness, syncope, and paresthesias in the hands. We aimed to quantify the seal pressures of neck and wrist seals in non-immersed divers.

Methods​

We recruited 33 diving volunteers at two dive facilities in High Springs, Florida. After a history and physical exam, we measured vital signs as well as wrist and neck seal pressures using a manometer system.

Results​

The mean (SD) seal pressure of the right wrist seals was found to be 38.8 (14.9) mmHg, while that of the left wrist seals was 37.6 (14.9) mmHg. The average neck seal pressure was 23.7 (9.4) mmHg. Subgroup analysis of seal material demonstrated higher mean sealing pressure with latex seals compared to silicone; however, this difference was not statistically significant.

Conclusions​

Drysuit seal pressures are high enough to have vascular implications and even potentially cause peripheral nerve injury at the wrist. Divers should trim their seals appropriately and be vigilant regarding symptoms of excessive seal pressures. Further research may elucidate if seal material influences magnitude of seal pressure.

I had purchased the things to do it myself a few weeks ago. Here is an uncut seal for me stepping down to cut all the way, which is how I wear it with dry gloves. It does not leak badly cut to the last ring, but as I flex my hand, it'll let little spurts of water in.
IMG_4723.jpeg

IMG_4724.jpeg

IMG_4726.jpeg

IMG_4727.jpeg

ah, very cool. Totally missed Derek finally publishing it but was fun to play test dummy and compare to others.

ah, very cool. Totally missed Derek finally publishing it but was fun to play test dummy and compare to others.
The ranges in the study are very large... Some people running crazy tight.

Back
Top Bottom