Don't try to carry any Tape in carry-ons - or Any Tools.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, checked bags are around $35 each, one-way, for international travel.
Domestic I have not fees.
Captain Obvious says: you can either check a bag or leave at home (or risk losing) anything that might be interpreted by a security checkpoint inspector as being prohibited to have in carry-on bags.

Don't expect a strict adherence to the published rules by the inspectors at a security checkpoint, and don't expect to win any arguments with them about their application of those rules. In fairness to those inspectors, your encounter with them is the only encounter with them you will have, but they have hundreds of encounters with passengers every day.
Which is why I said "You can't fight city hall".

And that is also why I have a few backup plans to legally achieve what I need (none of which call for me to "educate" the agent). :wink:

The agent always has the discretion to be more "thorough", says my TSA friend.
Arguing (and you may not have an agent that can or wants to speak English) only throws up a Red flag entitling me to a more "thourough" screening, unpacking and scrutinizing everything I am carrying including medication (not in original bottles), my "tetris-packed" dive gear, my unlabeled LAGs, etc.
And if I have really upset the agent, I am almost assured of being detained enough to miss my flight.
That goes for US TSA and CBP as well as anywhere else, including MX.

As I said, I begged and pleaded with the agent, but did not argue when he said "No".

If the rules said "No tools of any kind", I think it would be clearer to most people (that take time to read the rules ahead of time).

The only bonus I ever got from TSA was once when I planned to check a bag becuase I had an item that I couldn't carry on. I forgot, took it to security, got flagged and was told "You can't carry this on board".
I politely thanked the agent, and asked if I could go check my bag.
I was told "yes" AND given a Pass to skip to the front of the line when I return.
I again thanked the agent for the "bonus".

Captain Obvious says: you can either check a bag or leave at home (or risk losing) anything that might be interpreted by a security checkpoint inspector as being prohibited to have in carry-on bags.
Thanks Captain Obvious, but even items in checked bags carry a risk of confiscation.
I like your "leave at home" advice the best. :wink:

Captain Practical says: "Don't pay $70 round trip for checked bags to prevent $10 worth of tools from being confiscated." :cool:

The surprise to me was that I had carried those in my carryon dive bag from Cozumel at least 20 times in the last few years without issue.

The items got confiscated because I did not take time to read the MX rules ( I just read the USA TSA rules) and just got lucky those past 20 times.
Clearly my fault.

I posted this hoping others can learn from my mistake
and also see that you can get a lot of gear in a carryon.:cheers:

For me, checked bags are around $35 each, one-way, for international travel.
Domestic I have not fees.

Usually I fly United and get the first checked bag free with United Explorer card. Whenever I use a foreign airline like EVA or Turkish, they include two checked bags free.

Mexican security agents are required to operate at TSA standards for flights to the US, but they still have different rules. TSA very rarely has a problem with any tape types in the US, but it's different down there. I lost partial rolls of high-quality duct tape, 1" electric tape, and 2" electric tape. None of those needed to be in my carry-on, and I don't know why I packed them that way, but never again.

And small tools are allowed in carry-on in the US, but never in Mexico. Tools have been restricted since 9-11-01. For a while nail clippers were not allowed. TSA has softened some, but it pays to check. Leaving Mexico is worse tho. They keep all tools found in carry-ons as discussed in another thread here. Besides, why put them in carry-on anyway.
I went through TSA, leaving Cozumel with a carry-on CO2-powered life vest. Houston TSA said OK to take. US TSA even has an "OK to take" information on them on their web site. But, TSA Cozumel took it. I filed a complaint with TSA US, and got somewhat of a snippy form letter denying my claim, with no reason stated, and if I did not like it, I could sue in federal court. At the end of the day, US TSA and Mexican TSA follow different rules.

I went through TSA, leaving Cozumel with a carry-on CO2-powered life vest. Houston TSA said OK to take. US TSA even has an "OK to take" information on them on their web site. But, TSA Cozumel took it. I filed a complaint with TSA US, and got somewhat of a snippy form letter denying my claim, with no reason stated, and if I did not like it, I could sue in federal court. At the end of the day, US TSA and Mexican TSA follow different rules.
What is TSA Cozumel, and TSA Mexico? You mean the Mexican security when you board an airplane?

TSA only governs flight within and departing the US, and there is no Mexican TSA; there is only their equivalent which is not bound by the same set of rules.

Here's a new one. I flew in and out of the Philippines last month. On the way out the carry-on luggage screener stopped me for having a power brick with a two or three foot cord on it. Apparently they don't allow extension cords in carry-on anymore. They gave me a pass this time, but beware.

Here's a new one. I flew in and out of the Philippines last month. On the way out the carry-on luggage screener stopped me for having a power brick with a two or three foot cord on it. Apparently they don't allow extension cords in carry-on anymore. They gave me a pass this time, but beware.
Wow, thanks for the heads up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom