Don't try to carry any Tape in carry-ons - or Any Tools.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed- I got a miniscule GoPro allen wrench set confiscated. I had to laugh as they let the guy in front of me on the plane with one of those giant Mayan mask carvings that must have weighed 20 lbs. I think that was much more of a threat potential than an allen wrench not much bigger than a toothpick....

You cant unscrew parts of the plane with a mask.

You cant unscrew parts of the plane with a mask.

Yes- of course. I understand, and I also know the agents are just doing their job. I totally forgot they were in my carry on, and I hold no ill will toward the Cozumel airport or it's employees.

BUT- these allen wrenches are so tiny, I don't think there is anything of consequence that could be unscrewed over the course of a flight.

My point was, the mask was essentially a giant wood club that could bludgeon someone unconscious in a quick swing- on the threat scale, I feel that is far more immediate than the small allen wrench.

Better question is... why does @DandyDon feel the need to haul so much tape? Is there something we should know:)

1646925495598.png

Better question is... why does @DandyDon feel the need to haul so much tape? Is there something we should know:)
Many problems can be fixed with the right, water-resistant tape. My gear is getting old.

Many problems can be fixed with the right, water-resistant tape. My gear is getting old.
My last use of duct tape was to secure a dryer vent hose to an outside vent, which is ironically the sort of thing that duct tape was designed for. Most of the other uses I have found for it have been off label.

My last use of duct tape was to secure a dryer vent hose to an outside vent, which is ironically the sort of thing that duct tape was designed for.
I learned about it as a teen working at a cotton gin. We'd use it to seal air vents before applying metal bands and screws. Then it made its way to the farm.

Add me to the list of folks who've had their tools consficated. A wrench in my case...a good Craftsman to boot! Lesson learned...the hard way.

We also lost a wrench in our regulator case- Tabago. If that’s worst part of a trip- I’ll take it!

Add me to the list of folks who've had their tools consficated.

We also lost a wrench in our regulator case- Tabago.
And why were you carrying tools in carry-on? But then I had no reason for carrying my tapes either. I almost lost my bud leaving Lubbock once back when TSA prohibited tools boarding in the US as he was carrying one left to him by his father for unknown reasons and wouldn't discard it. He went back to the ticketing gate to deal with it not realizing that all agents were working boarding by then. Amazingly I figured that out, got one to go back, and actually got the plane to wait a few minutes even tho that's supposed to be impossible. The agents held it for a week and gave it to him on return. Don't try that, but then TSA allows small tools now, under 7" I think. Foreign agents working US flights will not.

Back
Top Bottom