Don't try to carry any Tape in carry-ons - or Any Tools.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Mexican security agents are required to operate at TSA standards for flights to the US, but they still have different rules. TSA very rarely has a problem with any tape types in the US, but it's different down there. I lost partial rolls of high-quality duct tape, 1" electric tape, and 2" electric tape. None of those needed to be in my carry-on, and I don't know why I packed them that way, but never again.

And small tools are allowed in carry-on in the US, but never in Mexico. Tools have been restricted since 9-11-01. For a while nail clippers were not allowed. TSA has softened some, but it pays to check. Leaving Mexico is worse tho. They keep all tools found in carry-ons as discussed in another thread here. Besides, why put them in carry-on anyway.

as you said.....putting any tools in a carry should not be done. it makes no sense anyway. not sure why anyone would do that unless it was an over sight.

i am scared to ask why you were carrying duct tape. :)

i am scared to ask why you were carrying duct tape.
In case something breaks.

as you said.....putting any tools in a carry should not be done. it makes no sense anyway. not sure why anyone would do that unless it was an over sight.

i am scared to ask why you were carrying duct tape. :)
My camera goes in a carry-on bag. I keep a little zip lock for spare camera and housing items like fiber optic cables, cleaning cloths, and a little set of allen wrenches. At least one trip through Mexico resulted in them being confiscated.

Agreed- I got a miniscule GoPro allen wrench set confiscated. I had to laugh as they let the guy in front of me on the plane with one of those giant Mayan mask carvings that must have weighed 20 lbs. I think that was much more of a threat potential than an allen wrench not much bigger than a toothpick....

a little set of allen wrenches. At least one trip through Mexico resulted in them being confiscated.
Yeah, TSA has relaxed their rules on tools, but in Mexico they have a zero tools tolerance.

so just duct tape then? no shovel or a ski mask ? :)

Back
Top Bottom